john deere 410 backhoe barely moves forward but moves in reverse ok

/ john deere 410 backhoe barely moves forward but moves in reverse ok #1  

Jack999

Tractor
John Deere 410 Backhoe
Hello
I'm new to this forum and my name is Jack.
I just picked up a John Deere 410 Backhoe and it worked ok for a couple days and now it will barely move forward but it moves ok in reverse.
I called the guy back and he said that he broke a hydraulic line and he replaced it and it work ok before I picked it up.
my hydraulics work just fine and they respond fast and move normally, i can still dig with the machine and move it in reverse but barely moves in forward So what I'm thinking is it's the forward clutch packs' Is there anything else I can check that it mite be because I really don't want to split the backhoe and do the clutch packs if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance

/ john deere 410 backhoe barely moves forward but moves in reverse ok #2  
Hello, I have an old 510B John Deere backhoe but have never had that problem. I would change the filter, tear it apart and check for metal, contamination, etc.. You could be right as per clutch packs, let us know if you find out what the problem is. I have changed lots of hoses, that shouldn't have anything to do with your problem. Best of luck.

/ john deere 410 backhoe barely moves forward but moves in reverse ok
Hi Ralph
Thanks for your reply and I'm going to change the filters and clean the sump screen' I also want to get a hold of a pressure gauge and check the hydraulic pressure to see what it is.
If anyone else has any other Ideas let me know and it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

/ john deere 410 backhoe barely moves forward but moves in reverse ok #4  
The low pressure hydraulic system in the transmission operates the transmission high-low, forward reverse and independent pto if so equipped. Oil capacity left after operating the transmission supplies the inlet port of the front high pressure hydraulic pump.
Sometimes the internal transmission hydraulic lines will shake, fatigue and break if the filter(s) and screen are not kept clean. Also any seal or O'ring in a machine of that age are failing. The clutch packs may just need a new set of seals. Have you installed a pressure gauge and checked the apply pressures ?

The low pressure hydraulic system in the transmission operates the transmission high-low, forward reverse and independent pto if so equipped. Oil capacity left after operating the transmission supplies the inlet port of the front high pressure hydraulic pump.
Sometimes the internal transmission hydraulic lines will shake, fatigue and break if the filter(s) and screen are not kept clean. Also any seal or O'ring in a machine of that age are failing. The clutch packs may just need a new set of seals. Have you installed a pressure gauge and checked the apply pressures ?

Thanks for your reply
I'm picking up a pressure gauge tomorrow and could you tell me where abouts I should hookup this pressure gauge to check and see if I have good pressure

/ john deere 410 backhoe barely moves forward but moves in reverse ok #6  
The pressure test ports are located on the reverser control valve. The brake valve is bolted to the side of the reverser valve. On the top of the valve are 2 ports. #29 in picture is the forward clutch test port. #31 is the reverse port. You should see around 160 psi.

Attachments

• T64050_________UN01JAN94.gif
    T64050_________UN01JAN94.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 6,741
The pressure test ports are located on the reverser control valve. The brake valve is bolted to the side of the reverser valve. On the top of the valve are 2 ports. #29 in picture is the forward clutch test port. #31 is the reverse port. You should see around 160 psi.

That will help me out a lot , Thanks

I was wondering if anyone here could let me know where the reverser control valve is located' I looked around today after I got my backhoe in the shop and I can't seem to see it under the backhoe' Is it hidden behind something where you can't see it. I want to do a pressure test on the forward port to see what it is before I split my backhoe.

/ john deere 410 backhoe barely moves forward but moves in reverse ok #9  
Jack
You must not have read jd110's post & I'll quote him.[/quote] """"""""""The brake valve is bolted to the side of the reverser valve.""""""""""""" [/quote]

You can remove RH footrest for a better view of valve

Thanks
I read so many post about the backhoe and clutch packs and everything I must've missed it or forgot about it. Thanks again