starting problems

/ starting problems #1  

blaise

i have a jd 755. it has gotten progressively harder to start. once it runs it will start again easily. if it sits for any period of time it will just crank little smoke if any. smoke is also white. i am wondering if there is a check valve somewhere

/ starting problems #2  
How about some glow plugs that are not heating up?

Bird

/ starting problems #3  
How fresh is your fuel,and does it have winter addive,for you might have mosture.

Does the engine kinda make noise lately,also notice a lose of power.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ starting problems #4  
I have a 755 and have had starting problems only once when I let it run out of Deisel. Check the manual for the two bleed screws . One at the water trap and another at the inlet to the injectors. If you don't have the manual let me know and I'll scan the procedure and E-mail it to you. Prior to bleeding you should probably go ahead and clean out the trap and install a new fuel filter. This is an extremely easy procedure. After running out of fuel ( just had to get that last bit of grass ) I cussed myself and expected to spend some maintenance time trying to bleed the air out of the system. The whole procedure took about 2 minutes.

Reg in SC

/ starting problems #5  
Reg,
I think you're right but what the problem is if it's sitting and losing its prime then there is probably a leak somewhere. On a john deere back home we had this same exact problem. We searched everywhere for the leak and couldn't find it. But everytime you let it sit overnight it would lose it's prime. Finally we powerwashed the whole thing and got a little fuel pump and hooked it to the fuel line and turned it on. We found a little leak under one of the injectors. One of the o-rings under the cap was bad. Fixed that and it ran fine and never had that problem again.

Bird could also be right too. The way to check is if it is the glowplugs is check them first to make sure they are not bad, then check the switch to make sure they are getting juice. The other thing you can do is plug it in, if you have a block heater. If it starts right off after being plugged in you have a glow plug problem. If you don't have a heater then put one of those 500w halogen lights on the fuel pump and on the injector pump. Let it heat up for about five or six hours. If it starts you've got a glow plug problem.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ starting problems
i do have the block heater and the glow plugs are working, i think i may try to hook up an external pump and look for leaks

/ starting problems #8  
The "Puzzler" on Car Talk (NPR) the other day had to do with hard starting diesel trucks. Apparently, after trying to start the trucks the drivers would go enlist the help of the shop head who would stand before the truck and "bless" it upon which it would start. When the drivers tried the "blessing" themselves they wouldn't start. The answer they provided was that during the time the drivers were out summoning the shop head, some heat from the initial attempt found it's way into the combustion chamber allowing the next attempt to be successful. When the drivers tried the "blessing" themselves, not enough time passed between attempts to allow the heat to transfer to the combustion chamber.

I'm not sure I believe this particular puzzler, but the fact does remain that a diesel is a compression ignition engine and requires heat to ignite the fuel. Could it be as simple as a weak battery resulting in slower starter rpms and insufficient compression heat to ignite the fuel? Maybe try cleaning all the battery/starter connections and a jump? I'll cross my fingers for you as this would be a cheap fix /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-32437-790signaturegif.gif

/ starting problems #9  
I can pretty much guarantee you that you've got an air leak somewhere. Good luck they are a royal pain to find. If you don't find it right away there is a dye that the mechanics put in to find them. Remember you aren't looking for anything big. It may just show up as a bubble or two or a small, small amount of fuel. I had a pickup that did the same thing too.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF