cracked 5020 water pump housing

/ cracked 5020 water pump housing #1  

marcin

Bronze Member
Tractor
john deere 5205, 1968 john deere 5020
Hi all,

I was trying to press the bearing out of a jd 5020 water pump and the housing cracked... I was able to pull the old pulley and it is quite worn

I am not sure if I should buy a new aftermarket pump, which comes with a new aftermarket pulley or get a jd remanufactured pump and use my old pulley (new jd pulleys are very expensive!). The new pulley sounds like a good thing but I am concerned about the quality of these aftermarket parts.

Thanks for your opinions.

M

/ cracked 5020 water pump housing #2  
JD new parts are not the same quality as they were back when 5020's were new. I know for sure as I sold new JD parts when 5020's were brand NEW. I'd chose the aftermarket WP.

/ cracked 5020 water pump housing
Tx Jim,

Thank you as always for your answer. Are there different aftermarket water pump manufacturers? I notice that the ones from Abilene tractor and AI are significantly more expensive than online (tractorpartsasap). Which would you recommend, or are they all the same?

My second questions pertains to the engine oil dipstick. Mine is the one with the flat top (no "plus" sign). It is completely loose and the new one is over 100$. I was wondering if anything can be done to seal this - can I add a rubber washer or something? I cannot find a diagram of the dipstick anywhere.

Thanks again.

/ cracked 5020 water pump housing #4  
You're welcome. I can't give a good answer about aftermarket parts quality. What's your engine block casting number?

I do not have access to the tractor now as it is in the shop getting the engine overhauled. I believe the number you are referring to though is 47510.

Tx Jim,

Have you been able to find any parts diagrams of that dipstick? I am still trying to figure out if I can repair it myself. Thanks for your help.

/ cracked 5020 water pump housing #7  
All I come up with is dipstick is NLA.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.4 KB · Views: 66