2032r Tire Chains

/ 2032r Tire Chains #1  

K Arno

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2032R
Inadvertently pruned some lilacs and tore off the lights on one side of the ROPES as I slid on some fresh wet snow with the industrial tires.
Can anyone recommend some chains to keep me moving in the right direction?

/ 2032r Tire Chains #2  
Tirechain.com That's where I got my 2720 chains (same tractor).

/ 2032r Tire Chains
Thanks. What size and type did you get and why?

/ 2032r Tire Chains #4  
Depends on what you mostly do with your tractor.. I run the ladder chains.. made my own because couldn't find available ones that fit the R4's.
Have seen a lot of tractors chained up on this forum with chains that are way too big for the tires. Then have to put all kinds of straps and springs on them to keep them on the tires.
Here's a pic of mine..

Attachments

• Tire_chains.JPG
    Tire_chains.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 1,080
   / 2032r Tire Chains #5  
I got mine from Tirechain.com,too. Worst mistake I've made in a long time. They "custom made" them for my 4110. I had to shorten them by over two feet, the bungles they sent as tighteners would have been big on a 4020. They chains themselves would have made good logging chains for giant redwoods. I go down the driveway and I feel like I am in a cement mixer.

/ 2032r Tire Chains
Other than a single day so far with heavy wet snow the machine has been just fine. Like the top link and chain hooks along with the clean chain setup in the photo beenthere. There are some big flakes falling right now, time to give it an other shot before I have to go to work this afternoon.

/ 2032r Tire Chains #7  
Pipestonekid
Don't think they custom made them, but just pulled the closest one that might fit out of stock. That has been my impression all along with Tirechain.com and pics of their chains on TBN over several years. Owners don't really know the difference, and make do best they can.
Reason I made mine (don't think I saved any money either) was the closeness of the tire to the fender (long before I added the spacers). I wanted the side chains to fit in the depression at the ends of the tire bars, and not down on the sides of the tires. So calculated the length of the side chains and the length of the cross chains for this custom fit.
In 16 years, never have had even an inkling of them slipping off and have used them often for logging in the woods as well as in deep snow (deep snow I put chains on the front tires too).

/ 2032r Tire Chains #8  
Have seen a lot of tractors chained up on this forum with chains that are way too big for the tires. Then have to put all kinds of straps and springs on them to keep them on the tires.
Here's a pic of mine..

The springs/straps have nothing to do with the chains being too big. If all you do is drive on a flat driveway and move snow, chains will usually stay in place. Once you start doing things that make the tires want to spin, the chains can slide right off the side. Same thing can happen when on steep hills.
Edit: This is in reference to R1 tires. R4 swill certainly hold them on better, though no guarantee.

/ 2032r Tire Chains #9  
That may be, but chains that fit and are snugged up, do not need slack taken out with straps and springs.. IMO

/ 2032r Tire Chains #10  
Mine are as tight as they'll get, but still slide off on my hill.