If you have a 5000 series Deere and it cranks but won't start, try this first.

/ If you have a 5000 series Deere and it cranks but won't start, try this first. #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I have a 5520 Deere that turned over but wouldn't start so I checked the fuse panel and the 20 amp fuse was blown. Changed the fuse, cranked again and blew the fuse. Again changed the fuse but just turned the key to "on" and blew the fuse. Now what?

After a fair amount of searching, I learned that if you have a 5000 series Deere like my 5520, it might have the cold start feature. This is a little electric sending unit that tells the tractor it's real cold out and advances the timing. When these things fail--and they do--they dead short, blow the ignition fuse and the tractor won't start. The temporary solution is to unplug the unit from the harness and tractor will start--until it gets cold again.

The sending unit is on the inlet water neck going into the block. There are two sendng units on this water inlet. The bottom one goes to the temp gauge and has a sending unit on it. Forget that one. The top one is a little button thing that is shown in the picture below. Part #is RE503242.

RGP5144________UN24MAR99.gif

This unit is on lots of Deere tractors with the cold start feature and I would have posted a list but the Deere site is down. But know the cold start thing is an option/accessory and doesn't show in my parts book as a part of the basic tractor. So you could well have a different tractor and have this switch on it.

I post this because a sending unit like this would not normally blow a fuse but this is connected to the engine fuse because it advances the timing in cold weather. Few would ever think to look to this sending unit but would spend hours searching. Now you know where's Waldo.

Last edited:
   / If you have a 5000 series Deere and it cranks but won't start, try this first. #2  
Just unplug the sensor and tractor should start, (with a new fuse and fuse shouldn't blow), until you can replace the sensor. This is in the parts catalog at jdparts.com I am not sure why you could not find it.

/ If you have a 5000 series Deere and it cranks but won't start, try this first. #3  
How does it change the timing?

/ If you have a 5000 series Deere and it cranks but won't start, try this first. #4  
Hopefully attached pdf answers question on how it works.

Attachments

• Cold_Start_Advance.pdf
    275.1 KB · Views: 825
  • 3029-temp-sensor.jpg
    3029-temp-sensor.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,076
  • RE503242.jpg
    RE503242.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 543
   / If you have a 5000 series Deere and it cranks but won't start, try this first.
How much coolant do you suppose I have to drain out of radiator to replace the sending unit? Might as well do this now while it's pleasant out.

/ If you have a 5000 series Deere and it cranks but won't start, try this first. #6  
I replaced the one on my tractor, which has the 3 cyl engine and was quick about it and only lost a little fluid. Had I to do it over again, I would drain a half gallon off, I would think that should do it. When I changed the radiator fluid, I put a small plastic hose on the end of the radiator drain and ran it into a milk jug, that worked well for me and there was no mess.

The manual for my tractor says to torque 3.5 lb-ft. I would think that would be the same for yours.

/ If you have a 5000 series Deere and it cranks but won't start, try this first.
JD5210...Excellent advice, especially on the torque. It never occurred to me. Thank you.

/ If you have a 5000 series Deere and it cranks but won't start, try this first. #8  
Be very careful on the torque, cost me another one being i thought i could do another 1/4 turn:mur:
My 5303 would crank with temps in the 30's, no problems there.
Ronnie

/ If you have a 5000 series Deere and it cranks but won't start, try this first. #9  
MF283.. it would crank, but would it start?

/ If you have a 5000 series Deere and it cranks but won't start, try this first. #10  
MF283.. it would crank, but would it start?

Yes Sir, needed to use the tractor before i could go after the part for a few days.

Ronnie