Mowing 62C deck, after all these years I still can't get it level.

/ 62C deck, after all these years I still can't get it level. #1  

megotatractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2210
100_2342.JPG

At low angles you can see that the 62c deck is cutting grooves when I mow in a back-and-forth pattern. It also cuts a sawtooth if I mow in "spirals". I have always had trouble since I got in 2004 trying to get it to cut perfect. Somehow I can never get it level. I use carpenter's level across the deck sideways and lengthways. What's the trick?

/ 62C deck, after all these years I still can't get it level. #2  
View attachment 467432

At low angles you can see that the 62c deck is cutting grooves when I mow in a back-and-forth pattern. It also cuts a sawtooth if I mow in "spirals". I have always had trouble since I got in 2004 trying to get it to cut perfect. Somehow I can never get it level. I use carpenter's level across the deck sideways and lengthways. What's the trick?

not an expert, but some ideas..

#1 - make sure that that the matched tires have the same air pressure..

#2 - I dont think you can assume that the top of the deck is level - (without the tractor running) Measure the actual distance of the tip of the blades to a level surface.. I try to measure it from 12 to 6 oclock and 3 to 9 oclock..

#3 - Dont cut too short - I prefer mine at 4" minimum.. i think im closer to 4.5"

/ 62C deck, after all these years I still can't get it level. #3  
Toss the carpenter level.. as it helps none at all for what you need to do to get mowing "level".

As mentioned, air pressure the same in a tires (each side).
Locate on a flat surface.
Then raise the deck wheels so they don't contact the flat surface.
Set the height gauge at say 2"
Then with blades pointing straight out, measure and adjust the cutting edge to 2" (match the height setting of 2").
..... (Raise or lower so both right and left blade cutting tips are 2" by adjusting the hangers).
Then check the fore and aft height of the center blade and adjust so the front cutting edge is 1/4" lower than the rear.
..... (done by turning the nuts on the front bail that holds the front of the mower deck)
Finally, pick the cutting height you want to mow at and lower the four deck wheels so they clear the level surface by 1/4-1/2".

/ 62C deck, after all these years I still can't get it level. #5  
Looks dang good to me. One tip I always share about grass ..... Don't water or fertilize it, it just makes so it needs to be mowed.

Seriously, I'd be happy with that cut but I can see what you are saying. Carry on ...

/ 62C deck, after all these years I still can't get it level. #6  
I think it's the nature of the beast. Mine cuts just like that. I level as others have said on flat concrete shop floor. I'm now using Gator Blades which helps hide the clippings. I've never been impressed with the cut of these tractors/decks.

/ 62C deck, after all these years I still can't get it level. #7  
Mine is the same way. Cut is decent but not great. I had a early 70's (I think) Simplicity with a high vacuum deck and that would give what my buddy called a fairway finish. The other thing I find is a 1500lb tractor isn't ideal for a good cut when the ground is a bit soft.

/ 62C deck, after all these years I still can't get it level. #8  
Rarely do the deck mounting attachment points get out of adjustment once they are set. Before doing any adjustment to these points, always verify the tires pressures first.
I think the biggest issue with uneven cut is always unequal tire pressures. Even .5 pounds difference will make a slight difference. Get a good digital tire gauge and get tires on each end equal. Rear tires are the most important but front tires can also contribute to low cut on one side. I usually keep my front tires on my ZTR mower at almost max pressure (less than 10# below max pressure). Since the fronts on zero turn are easily ripped of the rim if they get low, it is important to keep them properly inflated. Tractor type mowers like the OP are even more susceptible to contributing to uneven mowing.

/ 62C deck, after all these years I still can't get it level. #9  
Another contributing factor in uneven mowing is overlapping the cut. Need to mow the full width of the deck, and especially run the edge of the deck "in the ditch" to avoid cutting too low. Wide decks are great for covering a lot of ground, but not so great if the lawn is not flat.
Also, I've not been impressed with the C decks and their cut since they came out. Much better cut with the older decks like I have on my 425 and 455. Don't use the 54C deck on my X485 because of poor cut.

/ 62C deck, after all these years I still can't get it level. #10  
I think it's the nature of the beast. Mine cuts just like that. I level as others have said on flat concrete shop floor. I'm now using Gator Blades which helps hide the clippings. I've never been impressed with the cut of these tractors/decks.

How do you like the Gator blades? I use the heck out of them.