changing hydraulic filter on 4400

/ changing hydraulic filter on 4400 #1  

Wayne_H

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4400, '48 B and 318
Well it's time to change the hydraulic filter on my 4400 again. Last time I did it I changed the seven gallons of hydraulic fluid and cleaned the screen, but I'm hoping to not drain 7 gallons of oil this time.

So my question is, when I unscrew the filter do I need to be ready to catch 7 gallons of oil if I'm not fast enough with the new filter, or is there some kind of check valve in the system so all 7 gallons won't drain when I pull the filter. I know if I take the screen out what happens.....

Thanks

Wayne

/ changing hydraulic filter on 4400 #2  
Well it's time to change the hydraulic filter on my 4400 again. Last time I did it I changed the seven gallons of hydraulic fluid and cleaned the screen, but I'm hoping to not drain 7 gallons of oil this time.

So my question is, when I unscrew the filter do I need to be ready to catch 7 gallons of oil if I'm not fast enough with the new filter, or is there some kind of check valve in the system so all 7 gallons won't drain when I pull the filter. I know if I take the screen out what happens.....

Thanks

Wayne

Can you find the "tank" vent and stop it up? I have never done a Deere, but I have done several Kubota's and my Kioti, and the easiests way is to stop up the air vent with a screw or golf tee, change the filter and be sure to remove the "stopper". I wish I could tell you where to look for it on your Deere, but on a Kubota it is under the seat. A rubber "shepherd's crook" a #8 machine screw worked for me. On the Kioti it is the fill port stopper. In any case it will greatly cut down on the amount of fluid that comes out when you change the filter. If air cannot get into the tank from above, then fluid will have a hard time getting out at the bottom of the tank. This is what the one on the Kioti looks like.

IMG_20130922_150416_989.jpg

/ changing hydraulic filter on 4400 #3  
I've never tried plugging the vent as James suggests, could help but you don't lose too much fluid if you're ready with the new filter before you spin the old one off. It doesn't come out that fast, you might lose a couple ounces so have a drain pan to put the old filter in and catch the spillage. Plus some rags since your hands will get oil on them and transfer it to the outside of the new filter.

/ changing hydraulic filter on 4400 #4  
I've never tried plugging the vent as James suggests, could help but you don't lose too much fluid if you're ready with the new filter before you spin the old one off. It doesn't come out that fast, you might lose a couple ounces so have a drain pan to put the old filter in and catch the spillage. Plus some rags since your hands will get oil on them and transfer it to the outside of the new filter.

Give it a try next time, it really slows down the fluid flow. The last Kubota I did, I took about 30 seconds to change out the filter, and there was just enough fluid to cover the bottom of a 3 quart saucepan. The fluid comes out very slowly with the vent plugged. Oh, don't forget to remove the plug, because if you don't, it will blow the dipstick out of its hole if the hydraulics are operated. Most would be surprised how much air is sucked in and blown out of the tank each time we operate the hydraulics.