John Deere JD 4310 starter just makes rapid clicking noises.

/ John Deere JD 4310 starter just makes rapid clicking noises. #1  

Lost Dog

Tractor
John Deere 4310
I tried to start my tractor for the first time this year (it's been in the garage over the winter and the ground is finally not too soggy) and all I get is rapid clicking sounds.

I tried to jump it using my car, and after 4 or 5 tries of nothing but clicking sounds, it started and I took it out and ran it for about 30 minutes.

The next day, same thing trying to start it - rapid clicking sounds. So I tried to jump it with my car, but this time, I just get rapid clicking sounds, and occasionally, maybe one out of 5 tries, it catches and the engine turns for a second, before it reverts back to just rapid clicking sounds.

So I started reading this forum and tried the following:

1. cleaned battery cables and posts
2. connected battery from car directly do the lugs where the ground connects and the wire connects to the started motor (with the tractor battery in and out of the circuit).
3. removed the white cable from the started and jumpered + from the battery to the tab on the started - rapid clicking sounds

So, I'm figuring it's the starter motor / solenoid.

But I'm majorly stuck as I can't figure out how to remove the bolt in the rear of the starter motor as there are many things in the way.

I've attached a couple of pictures so you can see what it looks like. The bolt that accessible hold the transmission to the frame. The bolt that holds the starter is the one under that bolt.

john-deer-starter-motor-2.JPGjohn-deer-starter-motor-1.JPG

Any ideas or helpful diagrams would be appreciated.

Thanks!

/ John Deere JD 4310 starter just makes rapid clicking noises. #2  
Looks like you need a wobble socket?ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1466539251.684440.jpgImageUploadedByTractorByNet1466539281.343924.jpg

/ John Deere JD 4310 starter just makes rapid clicking noises.
Got one, but I can't even fit the 15mm socket between the frame and the starter. That's my problem, I'm not sure if I should come up from the bottom (removing stuff there) or in from the top (removing stuff there).

Thanks!

/ John Deere JD 4310 starter just makes rapid clicking noises. #4  
Ah, that's a bummer. I've asked the service manager from the dealership I bought from about things like this before and he always gave me helpful tips. Good luck!

Ah, that's a bummer. I've asked the service manager from the dealership I bought from about things like this before and he always gave me helpful tips. Good luck!

Unfortunately for me, the dealer I bought my tractor from (3 miles away) went out of business, and the next closest dealer (14 miles) just closed last year. So now the closest dealer is an about hour away.

With the area here become more urbanized and other outlets selling john deere mowers, it's hard for the dealers to stay in business.

/ John Deere JD 4310 starter just makes rapid clicking noises. #6  
The clicking still sounds like not enough battery power, even with the jumpers.
Stick a known good battery in it, and I'm betting it will start right up

/ John Deere JD 4310 starter just makes rapid clicking noises. #7  
Thinking, as DK, that you just need a new battery.

And while at it, clean both connections at both ends of both cables.

Okay, so I moved the less than 6 months old battery from my truck into the tractor.

It started!

Thanks for your help. I figured with using jumper cables and getting more power from a running car, it should have enough current to start, but obviously not.

So, is there a better (and cheaper) battery to try other than a John Deere stronghold battery. I ask this because the 4310 has a major design flaw (other than you can't remove the starter :) ) The battery sits in front of the radiator, so if the battery leaks, the acid gets on the radiator and eats the tubes of the radiator. I already had to replace my radiator because the factory battery did this!! And it was out of warranty and the JD shop said, that's too bad, give us $300 for a new radiator.

/ John Deere JD 4310 starter just makes rapid clicking noises. #9  
If the battery is positioned correctly in front of the radiator/hyd. oil cooler, and it has the cover with vent tube over it, then should be no problem. Be sure it is tied down so it cannot jiggle out of place and close to the fins of the hyd. cooler.

It is unfortunate that the problem arises, but as far as battery goes.. I stick with the Deere. In 17 years, have replaced just once.

/ John Deere JD 4310 starter just makes rapid clicking noises. #10  
Any battery with the same specs would do the job. I wouldn't go too cheap. I have good experience with interstate batteries.
When the new battery is installed, also check your alternator with a voltmeter. Start engine and set it at about 2000 RPM. You should get around 14V to the battery.