MX8/MX10 vibration

/ MX8/MX10 vibration #1  

sacarmic

Tractor
Deere 5085e, 3320
This is for anyone who has a pull type MX8 or MX10 cutter. When you make sharper turned, do you get noticeable vibration from the pto shafts? I don't know if it is normal or something I should have looked at. I don't get any vibration when it is straight. I bought it used so I don't have a reference for when it was brand new.

Thanks,
Scott

/ MX8/MX10 vibration #2  
Scott, I have to assume that your cutter is a pull-type and the driveline is starting 'buck' as you make a turn. It is either because you are turning too sharp; beyond the 45º working angle the u-joints are designed.

/ MX8/MX10 vibration #3  
Scott, I have to assume that your cutter is a pull-type and the driveline is starting 'buck' as you make a turn. It is either because you are turning too sharp; beyond the 45º working angle the u-joints are designed.

I am thinking the same thing. There might be a constant velocity optional replacement joint for it.

/ MX8/MX10 vibration
OK, that is kind what I was thinking as well. I was doing some mowing yesterday and noticed I get the vibration when I turn one direction, but not the other. May need to take it all apart.

/ MX8/MX10 vibration #5  
I realized I didn't finish my comment on your post, but yes, the other possibility is a cross in the joint is failing.

/ MX8/MX10 vibration #6  
I did not know what a CV joint was, so did a couple searches. You may want to look at this site. Your problem could be the PTO shaft phasing is not correct some shafts do not allow them to be put together wrong, but some do.

The article also provides some education on what is a CV shaft.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/eng9924

/ MX8/MX10 vibration #7  
Another thing to look at is the length of your drawbar. When pulling 540 rpm implements, drawbar needs to be 14" from the end of the pto shaft coming out of back of tractor to the center of drawbar pin hole. This keeps the pivot point exactly in the center of the mower driveshaft. When pivot point is not in the center, it causes u-joints to vibrate.

/ MX8/MX10 vibration
Thans, I will check out the draw bar tonight. Thanks for the tips everyone