Mowing Mid mount mower vs pull behind finishing mower

/ Mid mount mower vs pull behind finishing mower #1  

ebeb

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4410
Looking at a 4310 or a 4410

Leaning towards a 72"MMM for ease of getting around and better cut.

Hearing pull behind finisher is a better option to let me use FEL and backhoe.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Eric

(while you are at it, feel free to chime in on 4310 vs 4410 vs 4510)

/ Mid mount mower vs pull behind finishing mower #2  
MMM's are better for ease of use when cutting. On JD's (at least mid- to large- chassis machines anyway) you can use the mmm while the backhoe is attached. The JD hoes are 3PH and not sub-frame. RFM's are much easier to take off and clean, or so I have heard. It makes sense too. A MMM can be a pain in the tush to take on and off. It can also get really old after doing so many times if you need more clearance room or what not. RFM's are cheaper, too. I think the downside to an RFM is having to look behind you instead of just down when cutting. If you're cutting open areas, then that isn't a problem. Also, you can back an RFM in places that a MMM may not go.

Regarding the 4310, 4410, and 4510. If you are going to get hydro, the 4510 does not come with it. You will need to go with 4610 or 4710. If hydro isn't a concern, then there's no problem. lol The 4510 only comes with the PowerReverser. It is the next frame size up. Depending on the areas in which you will be mowing, the 4510 may be a bit big. 43, 44, & 4510 are all capable machines. It just depends on what you plan to do with it. There will be times where you wish you had a bigger machine, but I think that will happen no matter what tractor you get (any make or model).

/ Mid mount mower vs pull behind finishing mower #3  
Great post!

<font color="green"> The JD hoes are 3PH and not sub-frame </font>

Your point is right that they are not subframe and allow full use of the MMM. But they are NOT 3 point mounted! The first step in installing a Deere hoe is to remove the 3 point hitch. The hoe then mounts directly to the reinforced tractor frame.

That may sound like a quibble, but it really is amazing how well the hoe mounts. By comparison, most of the competitors equipment looks like it was an afterthought.

Just like your real point. That you CAN have a loader, backhoe AND mid mount mower shows a well designed product... I have read u number of posts in other brands where owners were tangling with trying to do just that, but the other brands usually just can't do it.

Not that each doesn't have an area where they also excel.

/ Mid mount mower vs pull behind finishing mower #4  
Oops! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I thought they were 3PH. I always liked how easy it seemed to take the hoe on and off. So, is the subframe "built" into the tractor?

Except for the JD hoe mishap, I'm surprised I got a post right. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Mid mount mower vs pull behind finishing mower #5  
Here's my take, it may be subject to improvement by others...

All backhoes put tremendous stress on tractors

3 point backhoes hang off the 3 point arms and are usually universal (fit all 3 point tractors) They put huge stress on the tractor, and often times will void a warranty.

To over come that many tractors have a subframe to hold the hoe, since they are not inherently designed to support the backhoe. It gives a lot of needed strength, but interferes with the mid mount mower and may reduce ground clearance...

Deere CUTs have additional bracing added for the backhoe, as I mentioned, the 3 point arms are removed (takes about 3 minutes...) and the hoe practically hooks itself up. This setup gives a very close coupled and strong setup. This setup is patented and isn't available anywhere else. The 47, 48, and 49 all work this way. The 46 backhoe is a subframe mount.

/ Mid mount mower vs pull behind finishing mower #6  
"MMM's are better for ease of use when cutting. "

Better for curves and quality of cut (latter somewhat arguable, but most would acknowledge). Better when there's a lot of obstructions, trees, etc. Better visibility - period. Better safety, considering rear-mount swing issues.

Worse for odd corners and trees with low branches, where a rear-mount can be backed in and a MMM can't be used at all. Worse for take-on, take-off, if that's important. Depending entirely on the tractor, maybe worse for clearance when not mowing (lift height vs take-off). Worse for side clearance when not mowing (if MMM left on).

Depends on conditions and preference.

Bill

/ Mid mount mower vs pull behind finishing mower #7  
....I admit that I am a RMM guy, but another advantage I have thought of lately is it makes great ballast if you are doing FEL work and are too lazy to attach the ballast box,
a RMM gives you 500-600 pounds of ballast to do a least
light to moderate loader work /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mid mount mower vs pull behind finishing mower #8  
I had a 4300 with 60'' 7 iron mid mount mower and it cut golf course quality. Really impressed with the mower. Then I decided to trade in for a new 990 with a JD 272 72'' RFM and it also cuts well not as good as the 7 iron but well and it is a little harder to get around trees but I can mow faster on the straight parts. I like the easy on easy off of the RFM and since I bought the fron gauge wheel kit the mower does not scalp or bottom out anymore.