Oil & Fuel 50 hour service on 2025R

/ 50 hour service on 2025R #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
Who has changed out the hydraulic oil and cleaned the suction screen on their 2025R?

Was thinking I needed to remove a rear wheel to get the lower 3ph bar out from in front of the cap over the suction screen access. Looking at it with my SIL this morning, this bar appears to be shorter than the one on the 4010. Looks as though it'll slide to the left into the left wheel recess to get it out of the way. It not, looks as though I can loosen the bolts on the left side bar bearing to allow it to tilt a bit to get the bar deeper into the wheel recess.

Who has cleaned out their 2025R hydraulic suction screen to experience this?

At least on the 2025R, I only have to do this once. The hydraulic filter is a separate spin-on. The 4010's was on the suction side of the pump and was in among the suction screen such that one had to remove the suction screen just to get the filter out.

Like on the 1025R, I'll have to extract some oil with my 7 quart extractor to get enough room in my approximate 12 quart drain pan to contain the old hydraulic oil.

Ralph

/ 50 hour service on 2025R #2  
Isn't a 2025R the same as a 2520? I just did the screen on my 2520 and it came directly out the back in the center. 2 10mm or 12 mm bolts held the cover on. VERY easy to do. Took 5 minutes by the time I cleaned all the oil off of everything. Removing drawbar first made one less thing to clean.

Hope they are the same…...

/ 50 hour service on 2025R #3  
RalphVa, you are correct. No need to take the wheel off. The bar will fit in the recess as you described. When I changed mine I just drained it out till my pan was about 3/4 full and quickly stuck the drain plug back in, drained the pan, stuck it back under and finished draining it without extracting any oil out.

/ 50 hour service on 2025R
Well, I finished it. Didn't have to take a rear wheel off like on the 4010. Did have to remove the left side 3ph bar bearing to allow the bar to move inward on the wheel. Maybe if I was parked just so, the bar might come out far enough without removing the left side bearing.

Don't know how one is supposed to remove those supposed 4 magnets inside the strainer. There's only the little hole at the end of the strainer. The thing was very clean. I'd recommend skipping suction screen cleaning if you have a 2025R coming up on the 50 hour service and any subsequent service. No reason whatsoever to remove it for the 200 hour services as far as I see. The 4010 had its filter in around the screen or inside it somehow. The suction screen had to be removed to replace the filter.

I also don't like not having a hydraulic fluid dipstick. One is supposed to somehow to be able to see a level of a water clear liquid in that sight glass at the back to the left and just above the suction screen cap. This requires you to be in 2 positions while final filling. Not possible. I just kept track of how much I put in and extracted out maybe a 1/2 quart to be sure. Never could detect a level in that sight glass. I vote for dipsticks like are on the 4010 and 1025R.

Ralph

/ 50 hour service on 2025R #5  
I wouldn't skip the 50 hour (first 50, that is) screen cleaning.. that yours was clean is good news... but had it been packed with manufacturing filings and plugged, then would be a different story. Won't know that unless inspected and cleaned.

No problem with the sight glass on my 4300. If clear, then not full enough. ;)

/ 50 hour service on 2025R #6  
I just dumped the fluid in my 2720 and it had 150 hours on it and the suction screen and magnets were full of metal. I wiped a significant pile of metal off the screen. I used a screwdriver and pushed the magnets out the other end of the suction screen n wiped them down as they were covered in tiny pieces of metal.

I had my 3 year old son watch the sight glass, and he yelled when he saw fluid! :)

/ 50 hour service on 2025R #7  
I just looked at a 2025R, and they did change location of screen. Its sure in a harder place now.

/ 50 hour service on 2025R
Just changed the oil on it. Didn't move the FEL like the sales person showed me. Not worth the effort to me. Could get to the dipstick where I extracted the oil and unscrewed the oil filter.

Got VW TDI oil in it now. Got it free from VW.

Ralph

/ 50 hour service on 2025R #9  
Good luck.

/ 50 hour service on 2025R #10  
I just looked at a 2025R, and they did change location of screen. Its sure in a harder place now.

I owned a 2320, I now own a 2025R. The screens on both were in the same location. They are in the lower rear of the transmission case.