62D, Independent lift cutting height adjustment questions.

/ 62D, Independent lift cutting height adjustment questions. #1  

Deadman

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, X475
So I bought a 2720 and it came with a nice 62D MMM and it had a independent lift kit installed on it. The lift works well, but I just don't understand that stupid knob on the fender and that cheesy cable dangling and rubbing my left rear tire.

I can turn my adjustment knob a few turns in either direction and once you get to the end of the cable slack, then it starts to affect the "cutting height", but otherwise most of the notches just drop the deck all the way down because the cable is slacked. Does this sound like normal operation of this cutting height adjustment knob? I can see where the previous owner chewed up his left rear tire from it rubbing this stupid cable when the cable was slacked.

Also, the lift raises and lowers the deck so darn fast at idle speed that the deck slams up and slams down almost violently. I'm wondering if this should move so fast? I have it in the FEL "up and down" hydraulic fittings. It functions great, but this seems crazy fast as far as the speed it raises and lowers.

Any other ideas on this goofy cable running thru my fender?

/ 62D, Independent lift cutting height adjustment questions. #2  
Put up some good pics of what you have.. it will help with some answers or discussion.

/ 62D, Independent lift cutting height adjustment questions. #3  
I have a 2320 with the independent lift. I run mine on the dump circuit not the lift circuit. Also, I believe there should be a flow restricter in the hydraulic line - at least there is one in mine. Check JD parts for the lift parts diagram for your tractor. Don't know about your style height adjustment knob/cable.

/ 62D, Independent lift cutting height adjustment questions.
   / 62D, Independent lift cutting height adjustment questions. #5  
The 2520 & 2720 do no use a restrictor on the lift cylinder.

/ 62D, Independent lift cutting height adjustment questions. #6  
I have a 2720 with the same independent lift you are talking about and also the photo in the provided link. Mine doesn't slam up and down violently so I think texas may be correct about the flow restricter, which is an in-line "washer" with a little hole in it, but I don't know for sure.

With the tire issue, something is bent/broken/missing or assembled incorrectly. Mine has room for heavy tire chains, but my wheels have been swapped side to side for a slightly wider stance.

With the adjuster on the fender, raise the deck up, turn the knob clockwise until it stops. With the pin in the hole, that is the highest setting. On my 2720 with turf tires, if I pull the pin and turn the knob counter-clockwise skipping 4 holes and pinning the fifth, that is as low as I would ever want to mow -- 2.5". I usually mow in the third or forth hole -- 3 to 4".

/ 62D, Independent lift cutting height adjustment questions.
Underside pic

Slacked Cable, adjuster turned too far of course…

Cable tight, plenty of clearance for tire!

/ 62D, Independent lift cutting height adjustment questions. #9  
   / 62D, Independent lift cutting height adjustment questions. #10  
By the looks of the video, the deck is dropping onto the wheels when lowered, and I suspect that when adjusted right the tractor is supposed to carry the deck.
If so, wouldn't that keep that "Deck Height" cable tight and straight ?? Or isn't that cable to carry the deck?
Speed of lift and drop being connected to the FEL joy stick looks about right.