Loading 2520 with MM Mower

/ Loading 2520 with MM Mower #1  

hillbilly rick

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere 2520
I have a 2520 with a 62D mower, and it will not clear the ramp to get into my trailer. The mower only has about 3" of ground clearance. I have a standard trailer deck (no dovetail) with 5' slide in ramps. I also need longer ramps when I have the brush hog attached. I estimate that I need 8' ramps for the brush hog, but on paper, that is too steep for the mower. Does anyone else have this setup? How do you load your rig if you do? With the brush hog and FEL, it weighs about 3500 pounds, so I assume I need to stay away from 3000# rated ramps.

/ Loading 2520 with MM Mower #2  
I have a 2320 with 62D so the mower mount is a little different, but are you sure you have the mower mounts adjusted for maximum ground clearance? I have a landscape trailer with a 4 foot ramp and I have adequate clearance.

/ Loading 2520 with MM Mower
I'm not familiar with a way to adjust the mower mounts. I have the mechanical lift - tied to the 3 point hitch. If anyone could point me to something that shows how to adjust them, that would be great.

/ Loading 2520 with MM Mower #4  
Sorry I can't directly help you since I have an independent lift system. However, if you get under the tractor and look at it, you should find a lift adjustment. The first thing to check is the height when fully lifted. The deck should have an "uplimit stop" which is just a metal tab on the top of the deck. It will be the highest point on the deck and, when the deck is fully raised, it should be less than 1/8" from the frame of the tractor. If it isn't you should find an adjustable point on the lift mechanism and bring it up to almost touching the frame.

/ Loading 2520 with MM Mower #5  
Just another thought. How do you adjust level side to side on your deck? Mine has a clevis type adjustment on each sides and by adjusting both up you can get the lift height to the correct position.

/ Loading 2520 with MM Mower #6  
You need to adjust the rear turnbuckles on the the arms that connect to the 3 point arms. Shortening the length of the rods lifts the deck higher. After you adjust there, you need to go back and be sure the deck mows lever front to back. If not, you need to tighten the nuts on the front mower bracket to raise the front of the mower to make it level.

My Mechanical lift on my 2520 lifted higher than the independent lift on my 2720. Honestly, I miss the mechanical lift all the time.

Consider raising the front of the trailer, to lessen the angle of your ramps. Maybe use the jackstand, or maybe park truck with rear end higher and trailer rear end in a dip to help the angle.

Heck when I have my flail mower on my 2520 I don't even pull the ramps out, I just drive it right off the back of the trailer slowly in 4x4 and it never digs in if the top link is adjusted propely to do so.

/ Loading 2520 with MM Mower #7  
I assume the mower catches at the top of the ramp??? Have you tried backing on?

Or back on to the point the MMM starts to hit the ramp and then use the FEL to lift the front a few inches and curl the bucket as you continue to back up???

/ Loading 2520 with MM Mower #8  
Even parking the rear tires of the truck on a 2x6 would help the ramp angle. You could also put a 2x6 under the ramps, so the tractor starts a few inches higher, it all ends up in less ramp angle Or maybe raise the wheels on your deck all the way up, so they don't hit the ramps……
Just thoughts…...

/ Loading 2520 with MM Mower #9  
Back the trailer into a hill or a ditch. That should fix your ramp axle issues if it's an option.

/ Loading 2520 with MM Mower #10  
Shovel out a hole on each side for the trailer tires to drop in, may work.
If loading/unloading often, then modifying the trailer or trading for another trailer may be the next order of business.

Lots of possibilities..