5105 Rain Flapper

/ 5105 Rain Flapper #1  

TexasTractor

Tractor
JD 5105
My dad is obsessed with putting a can over the exhaust pipe of his 5105. I can't blame him because he grew up during the depression and that's how he was taught by my grand dad - you don't take any chances because everything was too hard to come by. No matter how I try to convince him the drain hole won't be closed by mud dobbers he still wants a can over that pipe. Like I say, I don't blame him at all because there's a legit argument for that.

But I'd like for him to sleep easier at night instead of having to worry about whether or not he topped his pipe with that can when he hears a thunderclap - is there a rain flapper made for a 5105 curved pipe? If not I plan to just saw it off at the top and install a universal flapper.

/ 5105 Rain Flapper #2  
Let him continue to enjoy covering the exhaust. Can't hurt anything, IMO.

;)

/ 5105 Rain Flapper #4  
We had a 5105M and I put a flapper on it to remind me of the 4020 I grew up baling hay with. It worked great and I checked with the local JD mechanics and they said it was no problem, no risk.

/ 5105 Rain Flapper #5  
You sound like a guy that loves to type stuff just for the sake of typing. Thanks anyway. ;-)

You may be correct, but I also think your Dad has earned the right to do what he likes to do.. not have someone try to think for him and change how he wants to do "his thing". But if it helps you feel better, stop him from hanging the bucket out on his tractor.
I'm glad I encouraged my father while he was still alive (also lived through the depression, and the bank lost his college savings so he had to quit college) to do those things he felt were the right thing to do. I didn't always agree.. but went along. Sorry if I ruffled a feather... did not mean to...

Last edited:
   / 5105 Rain Flapper
You may be correct, but I also think your Dad has earned the right to do what he likes to do.. not have someone try to think for him and change how he wants to do "his thing". But if it helps you feel better, stop him from hanging the bucket out on his tractor.
I'm glad I encouraged my father while he was still alive (also lived through the depression, and the bank lost his college savings so he had to quit college) to do those things he felt were the right thing to do. I didn't always agree.. but went along. Sorry if I ruffled a feather... did not mean to...

Yes, I am "correct". I'm actually trying to accomplish something he wants. My mistake was giving you too much insight about why I wanted to find a rain flapper for this model. I apologize for that. You might want to avoid honest questions from members instead of pushing your shallow philosophy though. Why don't you take a second stab at answering my actual question. Are you aware of a rain flapper for this model?

/ 5105 Rain Flapper
We had a 5105M and I put a flapper on it to remind me of the 4020 I grew up baling hay with. It worked great and I checked with the local JD mechanics and they said it was no problem, no risk.

Thanks for the info Brent. Did yours have the curved-forward pipe at the top? If so, did you have to cut it off just below the curvature? I don't have a problem doing that but I thought I'd try to find out if there was a flapper made for the curved pipe before I do. Thanks, Kevin.

/ 5105 Rain Flapper #8  
I was so facinated with those flappers as a kid. I even made an upswept exhaust and flapper for my Briggs 3.5hp go cart.

Now, I have never owned a piece of equipment with one. Shame.

Cut the top out of an old can and rivet it onto the exhaust, so your Dad can sleep.

/ 5105 Rain Flapper
I was so facinated with those flappers as a kid. I even made an upswept exhaust and flapper for my Briggs 3.5hp go cart.

Now, I have never owned a piece of equipment with one. Shame.

Cut the top out of an old can and rivet it onto the exhaust, so your Dad can sleep.

I went ahead and bought one for $11 at TS. Fixing to pull the pipe and cut the top off and install. He'll be very happy. :thumbsup: