2305 Charging issues

/ 2305 Charging issues #1  

mcj115

Tractor
Deere 2305
I recently picked up a JD 2305 which is now having charging issues. After a few searches I have done the basics verified the alternator output (~ 20 to 30 V AC depending on RPM), cleaned the ground cable connection, replaced the K5 safety relay, and replaced the V6 diode. I did blindly replace parts (K5 relay /V6 diode) but it was only about $20 and I thought worth the gamble.

Does anyone know to to test the regulator on a 2305? Are there any other parts of the charging system I may be missing that would lead to a no charge problem?

thanks

Mark

/ 2305 Charging issues #2  
I recently picked up a JD 2305 which is now having charging issues. After a few searches I have done the basics verified the alternator output (~ 20 to 30 V AC depending on RPM), cleaned the ground cable connection, replaced the K5 safety relay, and replaced the V6 diode. I did blindly replace parts (K5 relay /V6 diode) but it was only about $20 and I thought worth the gamble.

Does anyone know to to test the regulator on a 2305? Are there any other parts of the charging system I may be missing that would lead to a no charge problem?

thanks

Mark

You mean it's all split up into separate pieces? Maybe you'd be money ahead just to replace all the parts with a complete alternator that includes the bridge and voltage regulator. What you're looking for is 14. something volts at however many amps makes sense for the machine you're putting it on.

/ 2305 Charging issues #3  
Have you checked the fuses? The F1 fuse powers the key switch and the white wire leading to the voltage regulator. There should be 12 volts at this white wire with key on or off. The F2 fuse powers the safety relay and diode that you replaced. There should be 12 volts on the red wire at the relay and the diode with key on. If the power checks ok, then check for a good ground at the black wire at the regulator, safety relay and the v6 diode. You should have continuity to the frame at all three of these locations. If all this is ok, and you are sure your AC voltage is reaching the regulator/rectifier, then the regulator is bad.

/ 2305 Charging issues #4  
Stick the probes from your voltmeter into the back of the wiring harness' connector to the voltage regulator's connector (white positive, black negative) and see if your getting a DC voltage, then do the same to the backside of voltage regulator's connector. I had a charging problem that was driving me nuts. There was a lot of corrosion in the connector between the voltage regulator and the wiring harness. Turned out both the positive DC out from the regulator AND the corresponding white wire from the wiring harness were both severed inside their respective connectors. The regulator's wire was obvious, when I removed the regulator the DC + wire was floating in the breeze. The white wire took me a while to find. I had initially verified continuity between it and the battery's + terminal. Got to verifying/replacing a bunch of stuff that wasn't fixing the problem. Took a breath, then started from scratch again verifying continuity. This time, the circuit between the white wire and the battery's + terminal was open. Took a closer look at the white wire as it went into the connector and it seemed to move a lot compared with the others. Gently tugged on it..and out it came. In fact, just finished today splicing a wire between the voltage regulator and wiring harness, bypassing the connector..and getting her put back together. So much for that idiot light.....
Good luck!

/ 2305 Charging issues
Just to follow up on the problem. The root cause of the issue was a bad regulator. I did the bad way of problem solving and randomly replaced parts, but it is fixed and not for that expensive. At the end of the all the parts diode, relay, regulator only ran ~$53. The diode came from my local JD dealer ($11 inc tax) the relay was $10 from digi-key, and the regulator was from ebay for $32.
At first I tried the diode/relay combo because a lot of research indicated it was a common problem with a 2305.

/ 2305 Charging issues #6  
Thanks for following up and telling us the problem. Currently my 2305 is experiencing a similar problem but it was precipitated by a bad smell. Did you experience this? Thanks.

/ 2305 Charging issues #7  
Thanks for the update & not intending to rub salt in your "parts wound" but utilizing a $10 volt ohm meter to diagnose problem is usually cheaper than changing parts.