JD1070 - Is Diesel corrosive?? Why is my fuel cap all corroded??

/ JD1070 - Is Diesel corrosive?? Why is my fuel cap all corroded?? #1  

davefr

Tractor
JD 1070
I went to refuel and noticed the inside of my fuel cap is all rusty/corroded. I thought diesel being oily would protect vs corrode. I don't get it.

I replaced the cap but wonder what's going on? Why is diesel corroding my fuel cap. I always use fresh/clean diesel.

Now I wonder what's going on inside the tank??

It actually looked worse. This is after cleaning it up but I'm going to toss it.
P1070170.jpg

/ JD1070 - Is Diesel corrosive?? Why is my fuel cap all corroded?? #2  
Probably rust from moisture condensation.

Bruce

/ JD1070 - Is Diesel corrosive?? Why is my fuel cap all corroded?? #3  
Probably rust from moisture condensation.

Bruce
Exactly, water vapor condensing on the fuel cap. Lack of anti-rust coating on the cap contributing to the corrosion. Maybe that is why lots of caps are now plastic and also the tanks themselves.

/ JD1070 - Is Diesel corrosive?? Why is my fuel cap all corroded?? #4  
I agree condensation. It's best to keep the tank full, fill after use. Has your tank been left long periods less than full?

/ JD1070 - Is Diesel corrosive?? Why is my fuel cap all corroded?? #5  
Yea moisture. If you don't take care of it now it will cost you thousands.

/ JD1070 - Is Diesel corrosive?? Why is my fuel cap all corroded?? #6  
I just had a JD 790 come in to shot not running. Same thing his tank was metal and rusted bad bad on inside. Started going down the line to find where it got to. It plugged up everything all the way to injectors. Injection pump is shot to the tune of $3,200 just for pump. Couldn't get an injector out and customer wanted me to stop and quote it. I'm sure there is rust in cylinders. $6000 parts and labor for all new tank to injectors. Everything new I mean everything but injector hold down bolts. Bad deal

/ JD1070 - Is Diesel corrosive?? Why is my fuel cap all corroded?? #7  
No shortage of moisture in the air where you are. Are you using bio-diesel ?

I'm not sure what the filter setup is on your JD. If it is just basic inline filter, consider upgrading to an aftermarket one that is 2 stage so you have ability to handle/drain more water. Scooby did a nice build thread on what he added to his compact Kubota - Racor maybe ?

If filling from cans, an easy thing to do is use a water-separting funnel like Mr. Funnel.

Rgds, D.

/ JD1070 - Is Diesel corrosive?? Why is my fuel cap all corroded?? #8  
I've got a 1070 and I noticed the same problem. My tractor came from a school district when I got it three years ago, so I figured they took good care of it. That was until I went to change the fuel filters. I doubt they'd ever been changed, at least not in many years. Now, like you, I'm wondering about the condition of the fuel tank itself. Pretty scary to hear about a $6,000 repair bill.

/ JD1070 - Is Diesel corrosive?? Why is my fuel cap all corroded?? #9  
I've got a 1070 and I noticed the same problem. My tractor came from a school district when I got it three years ago, so I figured they took good care of it. That was until I went to change the fuel filters. I doubt they'd ever been changed, at least not in many years. Now, like you, I'm wondering about the condition of the fuel tank itself. Pretty scary to hear about a $6,000 repair bill.

Yea it is scary! That's a lot of coin

/ JD1070 - Is Diesel corrosive?? Why is my fuel cap all corroded?? #10  

When I was in high school the school had 2 tractors, a Case and a Kubota. The 4 years I was there I don't ever remember seeing the oil checked much less changed. My brother was 2 years ahead of me and he ran them a lot. I would watch him from class. The ag and carpentry teacher took pretty good care of me when I got to where my brother left off. The tractors always set outside too come to think of it. I guess since the taxpayer had to pay to fix them they didn't care.