3PH Stabilizer Turnbuckles VERY Difficult to Turn

/ 3PH Stabilizer Turnbuckles VERY Difficult to Turn #1  

HeyPops

Tractor
JD 2520
The stabilizers on the 3PH on my JD 2520 are VERY difficult to turn. I can turn them about 3-4 turns by hand but then must use something to improve leverage (screwdriver or similar) to get more turns out of them. My problem is that clearance is so limited around them that it is hard to make the stabilizers short enough to prevent the hitch arms from hitting the rear tires at times.

Any suggestions on how to get the turnbuckles to be easier to turn? I've made sure they are not cross-threaded; they are just VERY difficult to turn without using something for leverage.

/ 3PH Stabilizer Turnbuckles VERY Difficult to Turn #2  
Garage door lube and run them in and out. I always keep a 12" crescent wrench on the tractor for persuasion!

/ 3PH Stabilizer Turnbuckles VERY Difficult to Turn
I'll give that a try. Thanks!

/ 3PH Stabilizer Turnbuckles VERY Difficult to Turn #4  
If lube don't work, threads may be dirty or damaged. Figure out the thread pitch and invest in a thread file.

/ 3PH Stabilizer Turnbuckles VERY Difficult to Turn #5  
Garage door lube and run them in and out. I always keep a 12" crescent wrench on the tractor for persuasion!

A 12" Crescent wrench is one of the most useful tools I've ever kept in a tractor.

/ 3PH Stabilizer Turnbuckles VERY Difficult to Turn #6  
I hated them so bad on my 2210 that I built telescoping pin type. Now life is good.

Might check with your JD dealer parts guy and see if there's some offered that would fit your tractor if you don't have the resources to build your own.

DSC06927.JPG

DSC06941.JPG

/ 3PH Stabilizer Turnbuckles VERY Difficult to Turn #7  
I'd check the male threads on the turnbuckles to make sure they haven't been bent out of shape.

/ 3PH Stabilizer Turnbuckles VERY Difficult to Turn #8  
Sometimes they get slightly "bent" which can make them VERY hard to turn. The telescoping stabilizers are pretty much the answer or a quick hitch, and get it set up correctly and never turn them again.

/ 3PH Stabilizer Turnbuckles VERY Difficult to Turn #9  
Sometimes they get slightly "bent" which can make them VERY hard to turn. The telescoping stabilizers are pretty much the answer or a quick hitch, and get it set up correctly and never turn them again.

Whenever I have a "sticky threaded" adjuster on the tractor or some implement, I've adopted the habit to completely remove the offending member and take it to the bench for a good clean up, inspection, repair and lubrication.

Under good conditions that bench work provides, the trouble can usually be identified, and the appropriate repair can be made.
There is nothing that makes me feel as dumb as "fixing" the wrong part.

/ 3PH Stabilizer Turnbuckles VERY Difficult to Turn #10  
Ditto on CalG's posting. I removed mine and worked/lubed them from the bench. Much easier reach and better visibility.