Diesel Exhaust Diversion

/ Diesel Exhaust Diversion #1  

sriddle1

Silver Member
Tractor
ACTIVE: JDX730 DAYS GONE BY: JD3010, JD790, JD425
I own an '05 JD 790 Compact Tractor that resides in an attached garage. It smokes when you start-it-up (even when using the glow plug function) and that smell can creep into the house during the winter months + lingers in there for quite a while even with the stall door open.
The 790 has a short 45 degree angle 1-1/4 OD exhaust pipe above the front axle and situated just perfect to hit the rear of the 58 Front Mount Snowblower so the exhaust bounces back into the garage.

I've seen service bays use the Stainless Flex Tube/Hose to divert the exhaust outside. Looks like Walker Emissions Control (Commercial Line) makes a Galvanized Flex Tube in 6 lengths. Those familiar with a JD59 Front Mount Snowblower, they have Black Vertical Drift Blades attached to the sides of the Auger Housing. I thought I could Budgie Cord the Flex Tube to that, maybe? Either leave it permanently attached or when snow height is a concern, disconnect/remove when I get it running outside.

I have some questions not being mechanically inclined as you can tell by other postings. 1) I've read to avoid any Back Pressure, by adding a 6' extension would there be any concerns. 2) Not sure how to create a quick connect/disconnect over the JD exhaust pipe, don't want to break it off, vibration, etc. 3) Lastly, what diameter Flex Hose should I consider to ensure adequate flow, 6 lengths start at I.D. 2" to 6" but attaching & leakage would be a concern. Any thoughts appreciated. THANKS

/ Diesel Exhaust Diversion #2  
As long as the I.D. of the tube your adding isn't smaller than the muffler exhaust exit you shouldn't have a problem of restriction. As far as getting it to seal, if you can slip it over and put a steel hose clamp on it if your using flexible pipe, would that work? Not sure it would "crimp" it enough to be tight. Only problem with that it will be hot when you take it off so wear gloves.

/ Diesel Exhaust Diversion #3  
   / Diesel Exhaust Diversion #4  
Or just an exhaust fan that can be turned on to exhaust the fumes. I dislike them (fumes) too, but only have to smell 'em when bringing in a load of wood on a pallet about once a week.

/ Diesel Exhaust Diversion #5  
I own an '05 JD 790 Compact Tractor that resides in an attached garage. It smokes when you start-it-up (even when using the glow plug function) and that smell can creep into the house during the winter months + lingers in there for quite a while even with the stall door open.
The 790 has a short 45 degree angle 1-1/4 OD exhaust pipe above the front axle and situated just perfect to hit the rear of the 58 Front Mount Snowblower so the exhaust bounces back into the garage.

I've seen service bays use the Stainless Flex Tube/Hose to divert the exhaust outside. Looks like Walker Emissions Control (Commercial Line) makes a Galvanized Flex Tube in 6 lengths. Those familiar with a JD59 Front Mount Snowblower, they have Black Vertical Drift Blades attached to the sides of the Auger Housing. I thought I could Budgie Cord the Flex Tube to that, maybe? Either leave it permanently attached or when snow height is a concern, disconnect/remove when I get it running outside.

I have some questions not being mechanically inclined as you can tell by other postings. 1) I've read to avoid any Back Pressure, by adding a 6' extension would there be any concerns. 2) Not sure how to create a quick connect/disconnect over the JD exhaust pipe, don't want to break it off, vibration, etc. 3) Lastly, what diameter Flex Hose should I consider to ensure adequate flow, 6 lengths start at I.D. 2" to 6" but attaching & leakage would be a concern. Any thoughts appreciated. THANKS

Too bad you're so far away. I've got a hunk of stainless flex exhaust tubing that I wound up not needing. I'd have sold it to ya cheap but shipping would be a deal killer. I paid a bloody fortune for it too.

/ Diesel Exhaust Diversion #8  
The fan sounds good. A place I worked had nice silicone type rubber exhaust hoses, much easier to deal with. Another had black rubber (hands get dirty). And both of those can be run over.

/ Diesel Exhaust Diversion
Thanks to All that have posted to date, just getting back to my post before purchasing stuff........ SHANEARD was wondering about any back pressure so that good to know, yup HOT !! JD855GUY, I'm still coming-up with a method to slip the 2" ID flex pipe over the OEM Pipe, either connect or hold in place with something, open the garage door, extend flex tube beyond door opening a couple of feet during start-up then quick disconnect once outside. Temporarily holding it in place on top of the snowblower using a Budgie to the Drift Blade seems viable. BUICKANDDEERE, Good thought a better fuel mixture, I do have a Block Heater I installed while living in MN where the winters were brutal always a constant wind > 15 MPH.....I'll try to seek out another source for fuel. DICKFOSTER Hadn't shopped for Flex Tube before but I found Dynomax Galvanized 2" ID X 6' on EBay for < $20.00, did some measuring and I really need about 8' so a local auto parts place is selling the Walker Brand by linear foot, I'll see what it looks like today. BEENTHERE, I'm with you.......I need to get that smoke/fumes out of the garage, impregnates everything with that smell, not good + creeps in the house when opening the door however quickly. When I was a young lad in the Navy stationed on a Destroyer I slept on the bottom rack right above a Fuel Storage Tank Sounding Tube and the Engineers would take soundings using weighted metal tapes every day and diesel fuel would puddle on the deck (navy talk) below me, anyway that combined with my weak sea legs AKA SeaSic it was not a pretty sight...... so, I have a real aversion to that smell that lingers & gets on your clothing. Long story short, it has to go......TJKUBOTA93 The fan sounds like a good idea during exit & entry into the stall, as extra insurance I'll set up an old cheap 24" window fan I use when painting. DIESELCRAWLER Nice hearing from you again, as you've probably noticed, 790 working good after your assistance with that Fuel Shutoff Valve. I suspect you have all the proper welding equipment, etc. If this tractor was in a barn or shop away from the house I might consider that approach however that stub pipe's angle hits the snowblower square and backflows into the garage. Wife is getting a tad-bit testy.........

/ Diesel Exhaust Diversion
Quick Follow-up.........Found advertised 1-1/4 ID (slightly larger though) Walker Galvanized Flex Tube at the local Auto Parts Store @ $2.77 LnFt. As mentioned, the JD 790 Exhaust Pipe Stub is 1-1/4" OD. The Walker extension can easily be slipped over the JD Pipe + I'm installing a U-Bolt Exhaust Clamp to provide an anchor point for a temporary/quick release wire & attaching to the frame so the Walker extension doesn't slip down/off during start up. Decided to get a 9' length that protrudes a good 2'-3' beyond the snowblower face but rigid enough to stay somewhat horizontal once budgie'd to the Drift Blade. All seems sound on paper, now for the practicality of it during the next real snow event, we'll see.... Wish I would have come-up with this approach several years ago..........