Smoke coming out of tube from top of engine

/ Smoke coming out of tube from top of engine #1  

pjs9370

Tractor
John Deere 755 4wd
Hey I'm new to owning my deisel 755 sub compact Deere and was wondering if anyone knows if this is normal for some smoke to blow out of the top of the crank case. Looks like a type of breather tube? Would appreciate any input for a Green horn owner!

/ Smoke coming out of tube from top of engine #2  
Depending on how much it's normal.

/ Smoke coming out of tube from top of engine #3  
At first startup yes a little puff of black smoke is ok. If constant black smoke then too much unburned fuel. Possibly dirty injectors or engine needs work.
If white smoke then water in fuel or bad head gasket or other engine problem.

/ Smoke coming out of tube from top of engine #4  
Normal for some vapour from the crank case. Use a block heater instead of ether .
Is it used hard and brought up to full operating temperature ? When was the engine oil last changed ?

/ Smoke coming out of tube from top of engine #5  
Hey I'm new to owning my deisel 755 sub compact Deere and was wondering if anyone knows if this is normal for some smoke to blow out of the top of the crank case. Looks like a type of breather tube? Would appreciate any input for a Green horn owner!

It is a vent. At least it sounds like one, and outs very likely that that engine has one.

What you're referring to is called blow-by. As the piston compresses the fuel and air, some of the gasses blow by the piston rings and into the crankcase. It's a normal condition, but wear can lead to excessive blow by, which isn't great. It won't hurt anything unless it gets pretty bad, though.

You should Google "blow-by" and learn how to determine if yours is normal. Also, that vent is how any condensation in your oil is evacuated. When the oil gets hot enough, the water evaporates and gets pushed out the vent. Tractors have relatively large oil pans, and take some time to heat up. It's good practice to use your engine hard for more than an hour every few times you use it. Otherwise, you can end up with a buildup of moisture in your oil.

/ Smoke coming out of tube from top of engine
Thanks for the Info.. I'll look into this further to determine if it's normal blow-by. I just changed the engine oil. Over all I Love the machine, working vey well! I just don't want to damage my New Baby!

/ Smoke coming out of tube from top of engine #7  
Some smoke out the vent tube is normal.

/ Smoke coming out of tube from top of engine #8  
Some vapor is normal.
And by the way, never ever use ether on these engines!!