Tires NEW TIRES A PROBLEM OR NOT

/ NEW TIRES A PROBLEM OR NOT #1  

KEYBEAR

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere X-758
I have a X 758 and thinking of changing the back tires to a Bar Tire . What problems will I or can I have ? As you know the X 758 is a 4x4 and full time will the new tires need to be as tall or the same as the original tires ? If not will it be a problem if the rear tires are taller or shorter by a little ?

Thank You :confused:

/ NEW TIRES A PROBLEM OR NOT #2  
You can buy the 26 12 12 tires in bar tread and they should fit. Curious what you hope to gain by this as the hdap tires on the mower seem to work well enough.

/ NEW TIRES A PROBLEM OR NOT #3  
The bar tires are AMAZING in dirt, snow, sand, etc, but they will chew up a lawn.
They aren't made to be gently, so if you just want to DIG, then by all means by them.

/ NEW TIRES A PROBLEM OR NOT
The tires (HDAP) just pull grass right out of the ground . Plus track dirt into the shop if it is wet or dry .
My yard is very soft all the time The grass grows very well but the tires take a toll .

Being a 4x4 I think I would still like some traction with out the mess . I have used the bar tires in the past and was happy with them . Just not sure they would work with the front tires being a little different size .
The front tires may run (pull) a little faster or slower .

/ NEW TIRES A PROBLEM OR NOT #5  
Curious why your lawn is always wet? I have not heard others from Indiana mentioning this that I remember. is this a climate, drainage or sprinkler/irrigation driven problem?

If you have frequent watering without drying out the roots will not go deep enough to hold well.

Did you have a lighter mower before getting the x758?

First I never said the grass is always wet . I said the yard is always soft even in a dry spell .
I have lived in this home over 30 years in that time have had a lot of mowers . First was a JD 318 then a JD X 720 a JD X 750 now a X 758 . Never a problem until the tires on the X 758 .
The HDAP tires seem to pick up everything .

The 318 and X 720 had lite BAR tires no problem also the rear tires was never the question ask .
My question has to do with the wheel speed of the full time four wheel drive . If the new tires are taller or shorter i MAY need to change the speed of the of the front wheels .

/ NEW TIRES A PROBLEM OR NOT #7  
Yes, you MAY have to do that.
Not sure just how you'd figure out what the effective circumference of the rear bar tires vs. the front tires, as the bars depress into the lawn. Trial and error maybe the only way.

/ NEW TIRES A PROBLEM OR NOT #8  
Am I understanding correctly that the tractor is ALWAYS in 4wd??

Tire size is critical. You are correct about the "pull", "push" thing. By design a full-time system is normally 0% or matched. If you change rear tire size to anything other than the existing size you will create a + or - situation. With full-time the tractor will constantly be fighting itself.

My JD2210 is selectable. The front is in a "pull" or + situation. If you engage 4wd on the move in a straight line you can feel the tractor speed up slightly. It won't turn for crap when in 4WD. I could swap out my rears for something slightly taller with little negative effect. But if I went shorter I'd start scuffing real bad.

Couple years ago I was searching for some rear tires for my Ford and found a chart by Micheln that listed the critical things such as Rolling Circumference Index, overall height, overall width, etc. I'll see if I can find that chart. I can't remember if it listed tires as small as what you are using.

Not sure what brand tires you have? You might Google search that brand looking for a comparison chart. You might get lucky and learn what bar tire would be comparable to the tires you currently have.

Otherwise it's a gamble. The tire size stamped on the sidewall won't answer these questions as there are too many variable between brands. Good luck in your search and let us know what you find. :)

This is the info I am looking for . The Bar tires I am looking at are not AG tire more like ATV tires .
I do not like the full time four wheel drive it is not needed most of the time . I have had full size farm tractors with front wheel drive and full time four wheel drive (9530) and yes tires must work as a set .
I have 70 hours on the X 758 like it a lot but may trade into a part time something to think about .

/ NEW TIRES A PROBLEM OR NOT #10  
This is the info I am looking for . The Bar tires I am looking at are not AG tire more like ATV tires .
I do not like the full time four wheel drive it is not needed most of the time . I have had full size farm tractors with front wheel drive and full time four wheel drive (9530) and yes tires must work as a set .
I have 70 hours on the X 758 like it a lot but may trade into a part time something to think about .

Being experienced in large AG 4wd tractors, why do you need information concerning this little tractor?