Block Heater Installation JD 6200... parts questions

/ Block Heater Installation JD 6200... parts questions #1  

highplainer

Livermore, CO (pretty much Wyoming) // altitude 73
Tractor
1993 or '94 (not sure) // John Deere 6200
Hi Everyone,

I picked up a JD 6200 a few months ago, and I've been mostly having fun with it until now. The cold weather has brought about the "no start" scenario. Specifically temps < 20F. Between 20 and 30 the start is a little iffy, but less than 20 it's usually a no-go. Sometimes if I hook up to jump from my truck it'll help, but the closer to 0F or even less, the jump start is a no-go as well.
The beast is barned, but the barn is not heated. There are no block heaters installed that I can see. The battery has a mfg sticker showing 7/11 (assuming that's July of 2011).

A few things I'd like to do:
1) new battery -- on order
2) install engine coolant block heater (not sure of correct part number)
3) buy and use a battery maintainer -- on order

Would anyone happen to know of the correct heating element and cord (or kit or assembly) to order, and who sells it? .... besides John Deere? The JD parts and illustration is attached.
Is this the correct plug according to the drawing?
20170111_144454.jpg

Oh yeah...
I'm not sure if this tractor has glow plugs, and there is no indication or symbols on the dash to indicate that they exist. There is a symbol on the ignition switch that may be it, but I haven't been able to identify it in the manuals. Another pic.... Is this a glow-plug warm up position? It looks a little like a pig-tail, but probably a light bulb.
20160719_081232 - Copy.jpg

Thanks for any help or comments!!

Attachments

• EngineCoolantHtr110V.pdf
    149.7 KB · Views: 137
   / Block Heater Installation JD 6200... parts questions #2  
As a "stop-gap" measure,, you can always use a magnetic heater,,
I have one, and use it when I need to supplement the block heater for quick starts.

I have used it on three different tractors,, only 200 watts, but, it helps.

Heck, it might be all you need,,, :thumbsup:

/ Block Heater Installation JD 6200... parts questions #3  
I would go with a block heater. I would think your local dealer can help you with that.

Looking at the picture you supplied on the switch you need to push the key in for the pre-heater or glow plugs to come on. On my tractor you push the key in when it is in the run position. I do a 10 count let the key out and then start it. I can tell it is working because the lights on the dash dim. The manual also says if after starting if the engine is running rough to push the key in again. Give this a try and see, if it works for you.

/ Block Heater Installation JD 6200... parts questions
CADplans...
I may try the magnetic heater thing. That seems an easy and cheap thing to try. Just had shoulder surgery, so can't do much until doc says otherwise... but still need the tractor to start in case the wife needs it.

JD5210...
Definitely gonna do the block heater, but need both arms and some more time. I should've made that a priority last fall (as the wife kindly pointed out).
Thanks for the ignition key tip; I'll try it out. What you say now makes sense according to the symbols in the picture.

/ Block Heater Installation JD 6200... parts questions #5  
Hi Everyone,

I picked up a JD 6200 a few months ago, and I've been mostly having fun with it until now. The cold weather has brought about the "no start" scenario. Specifically temps < 20F. Between 20 and 30 the start is a little iffy, but less than 20 it's usually a no-go. Sometimes if I hook up to jump from my truck it'll help, but the closer to 0F or even less, the jump start is a no-go as well.
The beast is barned, but the barn is not heated. There are no block heaters installed that I can see. The battery has a mfg sticker showing 7/11 (assuming that's July of 2011).

A few things I'd like to do:
1) new battery -- on order
2) install engine coolant block heater (not sure of correct part number)
3) buy and use a battery maintainer -- on order

Would anyone happen to know of the correct heating element and cord (or kit or assembly) to order, and who sells it? .... besides John Deere? The JD parts and illustration is attached.
Is this the correct plug according to the drawing?
View attachment 494688

Oh yeah...
I'm not sure if this tractor has glow plugs, and there is no indication or symbols on the dash to indicate that they exist. There is a symbol on the ignition switch that may be it, but I haven't been able to identify it in the manuals. Another pic.... Is this a glow-plug warm up position? It looks a little like a pig-tail, but probably a light bulb.
View attachment 494690

Thanks for any help or comments!!
Im not familiar with your model, but I recently went through a similar "upgrade." While I couldn't find a block heater (like whats available for my '05 JD 790) i did find your tractor has a cold weather starting, glow plug option. This may be what you depicted in your original photo: partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt?Origin=JDParts#mw_pdp

Again, not familiar with your tractor or accessories but it looks like you've got a coolant/transmission oil pre-heater as an option: John Deere - Parts Catalog

Or, fuel preheat element: John Deere - Parts Catalog

I am going with a MinnKota on-board battery charger to aid the alternator. As well as upgrading my battery from 600 CCA to 850 CCA and the aforementioned block heater. It's also worth adding Power Service Diesel Supplement additive to your fuel (if youve got diesel fuel (prevents gelling).

Hope this help, and best of luck

/ Block Heater Installation JD 6200... parts questions #6  
You may try a Winter Oil ? Most things that will not start in the cold will with a good battery lighter oil and Glow- Plugs .

/ Block Heater Installation JD 6200... parts questions #7  
I have a 400W magnetic heater. I can't tell that it does a **** thing on my Ford 8n. There is another thread active now about block heaters and my experience with the Magnetic heater seems pretty typical.

/ Block Heater Installation JD 6200... parts questions #9  
   / Block Heater Installation JD 6200... parts questions
Im not familiar with your model, but I recently went through a similar "upgrade." While I couldn't find a block heater (like whats available for my '05 JD 790) i did find your tractor has a cold weather starting, glow plug option. This may be what you depicted in your original photo: partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt?Origin=JDParts#mw_pdp

Again, not familiar with your tractor or accessories but it looks like you've got a coolant/transmission oil pre-heater as an option: John Deere - Parts Catalog

Or, fuel preheat element: John Deere - Parts Catalog

I am going with a MinnKota on-board battery charger to aid the alternator. As well as upgrading my battery from 600 CCA to 850 CCA and the aforementioned block heater. It's also worth adding Power Service Diesel Supplement additive to your fuel (if youve got diesel fuel (prevents gelling).

Hope this help, and best of luck

Thanks.
I did review your thread earlier today, and found it very useful!
It would be nice to install the other 2 heaters as well as the coolant heater. JD makes a nice harness to incorporate the 3 elements into one plug, but they do like money for their parts.
I'll also be adding one of the Minn-Kota devices thanks to your thread.

You may try a Winter Oil ? Most things that will not start in the cold will with a good battery lighter oil and Glow- Plugs .

Good point. Not really sure what oil the previous owner had in it.

I have a 400W magnetic heater. I can't tell that it does a **** thing on my Ford 8n. There is another thread active now about block heaters and my experience with the Magnetic heater seems pretty typical.

Yeah... definitely on the fence about whether or not to try the magnetic heater.

I attached a page from the 6210 manual on what I was suggesting.
Online manuals for the 6200 are not there, but if you wonder how I got the page here is the site I went to.
John Deere Ag - New Equipment: Technical Publications - Equipment Search

Thanks for this information and how to get to it. I wonder why the info isn't included in the 6200 op manual I have?