Loader JD 240 loader compared to 541

/ JD 240 loader compared to 541 #1  

kthompson

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubotas B2710, M6800, L6060 cab, Volvo EC excavator, 2 ZTRs and various implements.
I bought a JD 5525 with a 541 loader (used) July of 2015. First loader for me and used it a good moving and loading dirt. Enjoyed it reasonable well but there were a few things that were not sweet spots to me. On Oct 8th we were hit by Hurricane Matthew which brought us lots of rain and many many down large trees. Of all the hurricanes in my life time the first one to put a tree on anyone's house was then. My mother in law's house had tree that had one large limb come totally through the roof even the ceiling but very fortunate as it was not inside the enclosed house but a breeze way. Still felt urgent need to remove it and did but in the process twisted my 541 loader to where it had to be replaced. Ended with a new 240 as the 541 is no longer being made and not happy about the having to fork out the money very happy with the differences in the two. Some are design differences and two are option differences. The reason I am doing this not sure where but I read a thread somewhere very negative on the loader and caused me some concern till I saw what they complain about and think they are making an issue where there is no issue.

240 hose connection.JPG What I read concern about was the platform for connecting the hoses and how it was position to easy tear it off. My tractor tires are on 6 foot spacing but that mount is totally protected by the tires. If it gets damaged on my tractor then the tractor is in a place it should never be. It is heavy enough any vine I have ever seen would not stand up to it and in our southern trees we have some big vines or at least two inch if not three inch diameter. This set up is so much better than under the tractor where they were. On the quick disconnect under the tractor you had to tie the hoses up to prevent them hanging low and really being exposed to getting caught on stump, limb or such. If you only run in clean areas no issue with either, sorry mine works as has been pointed out with trees also. It is so much easier to use than under the belly is. Especially if in mud or water.

240 with level indicator.JPG I had asked questions on installing a camera to see the position of the bucket and know it was option on the 541 but buying used did not have one but the 240 is it standard (boy the price to buy as parts was costly!). I do like the coil wrap they use for it prevents rod being jammed by trash falling into a tube and you can see how low the rod is. I am still getting use to this.

240 with sel bucket.JPG The self leveling bucket option which my 541 did not, I really like. One less thing to worry about as you are lifting a load and moving helps you keep your eyes on tractor movement and not having to watch the angle of the bucket for the lift. Do not suggest you never do a visual check on the load with this option for some loads will shift and can roll out even with level bucket. It does not replace "thinking". Do realize it adds a few inches to the height of the loader boom which does interfere with vision some. If memory is correct a $700 price but an option I strongly recommend after using it once. Sure beats dumping any load on the hood or worse a load that could roll out the bucket onto you.

240 with tool box mount.JPG One thing on the 541 and the 5525 that I wondered and wondered about over and over was where do you put a tool box. There was no where to unless you made a mount to bolt to the fel mount which had angle iron on it you could use but was on angle so custom mount was required. The 240 comes with a good size tool box platform. Some of you know what the tool box is and it I think will prove to be great. It is a 50 caliber ammo box. Bought on sale at TSC for about $12 right before Christmas and then one can of JD Green. I like it being weather proof to keep even dust out. Now that does bring a tight light to open and close but a reasonable price to keep weather out.

Have not dropped it yet but the legs are mounted to the fel and not removed and placed inside the cross tube as on the 541 which to me was decent but there was the possibility of one coming lose and being lost or damaged. Never had an issue with one coming loose and would say would only happen if you totally failed to properly store it. Almost missed it the cross tube is lower helping with front vision at times.

This hit every thing about the 541 I had that I was not pleased with. Can not tell you I notice any quicker cycle times but per JD specs are but when operating the fel, speedy I am not. The FEL mount that bolts onto the tractor may look like the one for a 5431 but it is not the same. Difference in diameter of one of the pins used is my understanding. As to JD specs between the two if memory holds in most specs it out performed the 541 but seems there was one they did not.

If my 541 had not gotten damaged would I have made the change...if I had know the difference in the two and had a good used 541 to sell leaving me a couple of thousand to pull out of my pocket, yes. Had not damaged my 541 would not have thought about it at all. Just put up with those four issues. One disappointment with the 240, JD did not get coat of paint on the inside of the cross tube fully but I handled that. Oh yeah, that new fel sure made the whole rig look sharper as the 541 had fine rust coat to it.

/ JD 240 loader compared to 541
Can anyone tell me why when I upload a picture it is rotated in the normal view but if you click on the picture to enlarge it rotates into the direction with was when uploaded?

/ JD 240 loader compared to 541 #3  
kt
I suspect you are using an iPhone for pics, and are not taking them with the volume button on the iPhone in the "down" position. The iPhone (and iPad) keep track of up from down, but when moving pics to other sites then that isn't always "kept track". Try next time to rotate the iPhone around so that volume button is down, and see if that makes any difference. Would be interested to know if it does.

.. but good read on the FEL

beenthere, think had the iphone vertical as if making a call but you may be right. Thanks for your help.

/ JD 240 loader compared to 541 #5  
Yea, if you click on the pics they come out right. It is a phone thing. I have the same loader, no regrets yet.

/ JD 240 loader compared to 541 #6  
Good lookin' loader. Like the self-leveling feature as well. Be curious about your experience de-tatching and re-tatching the loader to the tractor.

AKfish

AKfish, in the time I had the 541 think removed it twice which was in the same growing season. Probably will be a month or so at least before I remove the 240 which will be the first time. Seriously on the 541 for me the hardest part was the hyd connectors especially reconnecting them where the valve is located under the cab, behind the step. It was very easy done in 10 minutes removing or reattaching.

Well have removed the loader once now for plowing and that process was good. Little slow as was new too it: The legs to support it are fold down and just have the fel lifted enough or the front tires turned so the legs can clear them and that is very easy and quick. Lower the fel so the legs and bucket have the load and easy to pull the two pins to remove it. They do not have to pull clear of the loader and they will store in place. Use the fel cylinders to move the loader off of the mount. Now I turn the cutoff on the hyd line to lock it and then worked the control for the fel. Really like the mount setup for the hyd hoses on the side of the right mount compared to access the hoses under the right step, big improvement.

The past Saturday reinstalled the loader to move some dirt and that process was quick and simple. Maybe I just lined up best possible but was easy to connect the hyd lines and easy the loader into place. Was not sitting perfectly level and happened to pin the right side first and then realized the left side was at least quarter of inch off but was quick to a line with using the fel cylinders. If it took five minutes and my first reconnect that was it. Again really really like where they have the hose connection now. Much easier than under the step.

Not sure where I saw a concern on the location of the hose connections on that loader as they will be torn off was about the way it read. I have had no issue with it being located where it is. It is inside of the width of my tires which are set on 60 inch center, inside of the fel bucket also so not sure where the concern is with them. I think they are every bit as safe as when under the step.

Talked with my son in law who ran it for the first time Saturday and he remarked how he like the self leveling feature. To me that is a great feature compared to loading dirt and with the backing and raising bucket as you move to dump it just frees up the having to watch the bucket for titling back dropping load on the tractor. Once I get use tot he bucket angle indicator will be happy. I do not find that lines up just the way the manual shows it will. Not sure there is any adjust to it but will explore that.