4400HST doesn't want to go - help

/ 4400HST doesn't want to go - help #11  
If you are referring to the loooong tubular screen - - have not cleaned it for several years (definitely out of sight, out of mind)

Yes, The tubular screen. I recently serviced a JD 2305 (smaller than yours) for a customer and at 400 hrs his was just about plugged solid. I had pulled and cleaned it at 200 hrs and it wasn't too bad. Hopefully the brakes may be the problem.

/ 4400HST doesn't want to go - help #12  
Sorry I could not post this earlier:

MP31348________UN24MAR03.gif

The springs in question are #18 below, one on each side at the bellcrank. Any 4x00 owner needs to check these frequently.

Now, the shaft (#4) that goes thru the gear housing is steel, and the the housing is aluminum. The shaft corrodes and can become stuck. This needs to be kept well lubricated with a product like Fluid Film, and exercised regularly. I know with the hydro tranny we don't use the brakes often-and that only makes things worse. Again, any 4x00 owner needs to craw under the tractor and take care of this as regular maintenance.

MP20585________UN12APR99.gif

/ 4400HST doesn't want to go - help #13  
kennyd
I will be doing that soon, and thanks for the post.

/ 4400HST doesn't want to go - help #14  
Sorry I could not post this earlier:

View attachment 498078

The springs in question are #18 below, one on each side at the bellcrank. Any 4x00 owner needs to check these frequently.

Now, the shaft (#4) that goes thru the gear housing is steel, and the the housing is aluminum. The shaft corrodes and can become stuck. This needs to be kept well lubricated with a product like Fluid Film, and exercised regularly. I know with the hydro tranny we don't use the brakes often-and that only makes things worse. Again, any 4x00 owner needs to craw under the tractor and take care of this as regular maintenance.

View attachment 498079

KennyD How do you attach the parts pictures?

/ 4400HST doesn't want to go - help #15  
KennyD How do you attach the parts pictures?

In JDparts, I right click the image, then select "Save As" to save it to my desktop (so it's easily found in the next step), Then I simply attach it to the post like any other picture using the "Insert Image" button above the text box where you type in you post. The picture attaches to wherever the cursor is.

Then I just drag the image to my recycle bin after I know its posted.

Make sense? If not I'll try to explain differently....

/ 4400HST doesn't want to go - help #16  
Makes sense, and works great. tks

/ 4400HST doesn't want to go - help
You certainly ARE correct about using the brakes more often and using Fluid Film or other waterproof lubricant -- I wished that I had known that years ago -- I probably don't use the brakes more than a dozen times a year and thanks to your information, will make those changes -- it may be 15 years old but expect it to outlast me (far different than my first 4400HST that was one of the first off the assembly line and unknown to JD QC, the aluminum millings were left in the transmission housing causing transmission failure, brake failure, hydraulic pump failure, etc. at 50 hours plus the early models of 4400 4WD had incorrect engineering in the front axles that made 30 foot arcs of dead grass when in 2WD -- and JD with their business model of "fix as fails" didn't notify, AFAIK, anyone about the bad front end but willingly replaced the front ends for all who complained of the problem that was stated here on TBN -- I traded off that 4400HST for one that has been rock solid and has done a LOT of serious heavy duty work)

/ 4400HST doesn't want to go - help #18  
In JDparts, I right click the image, then select "Save As" to save it to my desktop (so it's easily found in the next step), Then I simply attach it to the post like any other picture using the "Insert Image" button above the text box where you type in you post. The picture attaches to wherever the cursor is.

Then I just drag the image to my recycle bin after I know its posted.

Make sense? If not I'll try to explain differently....

Awesome. I just saved the clutch housing image to my desktop and it's there. The rest of the procedure I know how to make it work. Thanks!