Which John Deere?

/ Which John Deere? #1  

jgt24

Tractor
Nothing yet
I just recently purchased 7 acres that I will be building on and looking for a lawn tractor that will work for both mowing and snow removal. The driveway is gravel and is about 900 feet that is at about a 4-8% grade and the mowing will be about 2 acres. I was leaning towards a X700 series. Thinking the X738 with a 47" Snowblower. Looking for any suggestions/opinions out there.

/ Which John Deere? #2  
You have to know that you will get asked why 'Green'. Seems you have limited your search before you did your research. :confused3:

/ Which John Deere?
Yep, I am limiting my search to John Deere because the research I have done is that JD is built more solid and are just overall stronger machines. I am sure there could be arguments on others but I have done a lot of research. I've researched and researched and I've asked a lot of questions. I've hit up JD dealerships and of course I've got their opinions. I'm looking to hear from those that own them and if their are any concerns. I've gone back and forth between the different options...diesel/gas, 4wd/2wd, all wheel steer and whatever else there is out there. I was initially looking at the X500 series because they are less expensive but I am thinking there will be no issues whatsoever with the X700 series. the main questions I had was if others felt the 738 was plenty enough power to handle the job I posted above. Don't think it should matter why "Green". I've looked at Ford/New Holland, Kubota, and Cub Cadet actually. Just going to spoil myself at this point and Green is what I want. I've had a Cub Cadet for the last 15 years or so and it has worked great but it's time to retire her.

/ Which John Deere? #4  
Seems to me that if you already eliminated all brands but one, you have done a lot of research on the differences of 'like' machines, but then why ask the original question? If it were me, I would try to figure out what I wanted in terms of features/specs first... and then look at models/dealers/pricing. Just sayin'. If you really want a particular color, then by all means go forward... I guess it makes your ultimate decision easier if not wiser.

/ Which John Deere?
I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "features". I didn't think I was asking a difficult question. I'm in Minnesota so I get a lot of snow. Not too worried about the mowing part of it. I'm talking about enough power. Maybe I was too subtle with what I was getting at. Would the X738 be plenty to handle that job? Would an X500 series handle it with no problem? Am I going to notice much difference with blowing snow if I went with an X500 instead? How about a 2wd like the X730 instead of the 738? Those are the opinions/experiences from others I was hoping to solicit. I'm not an expert by any means on mowers/tractors/farm equipment/etc... I like the idea of a diesel but don't think I really need it for the extra up front price tag. I also am a little concerned about the extra maintenance and warm up time needed on a diesel. I want to be able to start it and go. My garage will be heated though so that may be a mute point, I don't know. I can change my own oil without a problem but any other work on it I will be taking it in. So lower maintenance machines are more up my alley. Hope this clarifies things, if not, and your next response is going to be similar then I guess I don't know what else to say. Hopefully there will be others out there willing to share their thoughts. I'm open to any suggestions/comments, just prefer not the critical ones. Don't need to be lectured, just looking for some help.

/ Which John Deere? #6  
For the money difference, is say go with a 1025. You'll love the loader and it'll be more useful than you can imagine. Get a rear finish mower or the MMM. Can get a front mounted snow blower also

Brett

/ Which John Deere? #7  
I just recently purchased 7 acres that I will be building on and looking for a lawn tractor that will work for both mowing and snow removal. The driveway is gravel and is about 900 feet that is at about a 4-8% grade and the mowing will be about 2 acres. I was leaning towards a X700 series. Thinking the X738 with a 47" Snowblower. Looking for any suggestions/opinions out there.

In 2000 I moved from a 7 acre piece in Wisconsin with a 700' gravel driveway and mowed approx 1.5 acres flat land and a 1/2 to 1 acre wooded hill the house was dug into for the walkout basement. I lived their for 12 years and at the beginning I had a 420 gas with hydro with 60" deck and single stage blower for a couple years and did alright.

Then I went to an upgraded diesel JD 2 wheel drive and 2 stage snowblower and did so much better. I forget the exact numbers but then upgraded to and stayed with 2 WD large diesel JD garden tractors with class 1-3 pt hitches for trailer moving and using attachments even until today. I did put fluid in the tires and 2 sets of cast iron wheel weights on along with chains. I could always push forward through snow banks until snow would come over the top of the snowblower.

The X740 I have now has seen plenty of snow and mowing on hills in Wisconsin and never came up short.

I used a 62" deck which works great.

I did get a 3720 with FEL and bucket and removed snow twice in 4 years with it, but the rest of the time I just started the X740 which always fired right up even though in an unheated pole shed. I could do the driveway in 1/3 of the time the 3720 would take because I could blow the snow 50' into the ditch. But when it was 0 deg or so it would sound like a 1 cylinder running for the first half minute. In a heated garage or anything over 20 degrees there won't be a problem at all.

A close friend had an X720? which was a gasser just like mine and he burned through way more fuel than I did mowing lawn. Maybe they are better now but I don't know. That was 4 years ago since I last saw him.

If it were me I would consider a diesel for sure and possibly 4 WD. I would not, in my humble opinion, get a X500 unless they have 25 horsepower and a 62" deck. The next thing I would possibly get would be the 1XXX series tractor. A number of people are going that way. I don't know the mowing quality and the nimbleness of those though.

Last edited:
   / Which John Deere? #8  
I'd go with the 738 over the 500 series simply for ground weight & 4WD. Myself, i'd go with a 3 pt hitch for use with other attachment's in the future. That's my .02 cents worth.

Ronnie

/ Which John Deere? #9  
Not familiar with all the different models but would think 4x4, HST, and diesel would be first choice. A loader and three point can see a lot of use also.

/ Which John Deere? #10  
My suggestion would be the X7xx line with at least AWD and Fuel Injection. If budget allows, as someone else mentioned a look at the 1 Series might be a good idea. Unless you plan on many hours per season, it will take a long time to save the price differential for a diesel. In my case the X749 had been discontinued and X739 was the only option to achieve AWD / AWS. Since DW hates the smell of diesel fumes, that also made the choice of a gasser easier.

During discussion, dealer suggested, for the most part, on lawn tractor diesel is more about bragging rights than outright performance. Further suggested choice between gas / diesel for LT line was often based on type of fuel stored. In other words, farmers with diesel equipment with off road diesel storage tanks, tended to buy diesel and homeowners most often went with gas.