1948 JD A

/ 1948 JD A #1  

Haylough

Tractor
Kubota3410 John Deere A
Hi, newbie here, need a little help, I was passed down a JD A (1948) hasn't run for 3 yrs some one stole sediment bowl and fuel line, so I replaced those, got it running, shut off to add more fuel to drive it around. When I restarted it, I took off the seat when I was starting it, and noticed the post on battery were smoking when I engaged the starter. I filed and wire brushed the connections but still smoked on engagement. Thought my father in law told me it was converted to 12 volt system but not 100% sure of that. It did start when hooked up negative to ground. If can help me out, thank you.

/ 1948 JD A #2  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum. We are glad that you joined with us here.

I am sure that someone here will be able yo help but I can't.

We would all love to see some pictures of that old iron if you could post some.

/ 1948 JD A #3  
Sounds like it is drawing too many amps. What condition are the cables in? Check and clean the connection on the ground wire where it connects to the frame/engine.

/ 1948 JD A
Thx, yep I'm replacing both cables.

/ 1948 JD A
Hi, I replaced the positive ground cable, No smoking cable connections, the 48 A started ran good, thx for help all.

/ 1948 JD A #9  
And '48 was 12v from the factory.

Rick,
At one time I really wanted an A and looked at several. Were they the ones with two six volt bateries under the seat, wired in series to make 12 volts?