John deere 301a power steering pump

/ John deere 301a power steering pump #1  

Dconk91

Tractor
John Deere 301a
I have the open center power steering setup on my 301a, i have replaced bushings and seals TWICE, and it still leaks hydro fluid into crankcase. I ran it for about 15 minutes and it had already dumped about 1 gallon of hydro fluid into crankcase....

/ John deere 301a power steering pump #2  
Welcome to TBN
Is pump shaft worn?

/ John deere 301a power steering pump
Not enough, its still within spec

/ John deere 301a power steering pump #4  
A "not so special" but still special tool is sometimes required to install shaft seals in hydro pumps. It has to do with how the seal lips get oriented to the pressure.

Just something you might want to look into.

Update on my power steering problem: i fabricated an automotive pump on and the fluid doesnt flow unless i turn the steering wheel.... and hardly any fluid is returned via return line, this seems that i have a close center steering valve in my opinion.... which i should be able to tap into pressure side of hydro line to use correct?

/ John deere 301a power steering pump #6  
Original open center power steering pump utilized trans case as it's oil reservoir. Can you post photos of how you have the automotive PS pump plumbed to tractor hyd's?

Im using an old ford power steering pump, i had it laying around it, has its own reservior, but pressure side out of pump is hooked to pressure inlet side of steering valve, return side of steering valve is connected to low pressure hydro line, and the supply line close to hydro pump is connected to return side of ps pump, and a bleed line is connected to reservior on ps pump to reservior hydro tank.... essentially the ps stteering pump is connected exactly like oem pump........... lets say someone put the incorrect steering valve in the tractor but would that cause the pressure to build up, forcing hydro fluid out of both power steering pumps? Oem and the ford? Ive replaced seals and bushings twice in oem pump and it worked great until i used the front loader heavily, then fluid would start filling up crankcase.... is there anyway to identify the steering valve as open center or closed center?

/ John deere 301a power steering pump #8  
Your tractor must be a model 300 not 301A if it had a PS pump mounted to RH frt of engine. Open center steering valve housing should have casting # T22829. I'm not understanding how you're getting return oil from PS control housing back to Ford PS pump because factory PS valve housing returns oil out the bottom via a galley in clutch housing that connects to trans.

20180319_152816.jpg20180319_152826.jpg20180319_152813.jpg20180319_152840.jpg

/ John deere 301a power steering pump #10  
After viewing your photo's I still don't understand how you have Ford PS pump plumbed to tractor. Can you elaborate? After closer inspection of parts catalog I determined I made an incorrect statement about open center steering return oil being routed to clutch housing similar to closed-center steering. As you're probably already aware of OC power steering has a dedicated return line(key 5). What's the casting # on your tractors PS valve housing?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    24.4 KB · Views: 75