Help -- Optima battery in JD 4400

/ Help -- Optima battery in JD 4400 #1  

CVHoss

Gold Member
Tractor
J.D. 4400
In a post by lgjhn, he mentions that he replaced the battery in his 4300 with a Optima yellow top battery. He said it was a 51D but that is not a model listed on Optima's web site. I purchased a 31D but it is too deep for the battery tray and will not allow the grill to be replaced completely. My question is, has anyone used a Optima battery in the JD mid-chassis tractors and, if so, what model number did you use and, if necessary, how did you overcome the depth problem with the grill. I did post this question on lgjhn's post, but apparently he hasn't seen it and he doesn't have an email address listed.

Thanks
Hoss

/ Help -- Optima battery in JD 4400 #2  
I also read that thread briefly and ordered a 51R from Remy Battery without doing my homework and wound up in the same predicament. I then realized that I needed a 51, not 51R. So the nice folks at Remy sent me one ASAP and I sent the 51R back. Now my 4100 is good to go. remybattery

/ Help -- Optima battery in JD 4400
Thank you for the link and the info. It never occured to me that Optima may not have there web site up to date with all of their models. After seeing your reply, I did find one retailer who notes that the 51 was added to their inventory in August of 2003. Looks like Optima needs a new webmaster. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll be ordering one of the 51D batteries today.

Thanks again.
Hoss

/ Help -- Optima battery in JD 4400 #4  
Hi Guys,

Interesting discussion on batteries. I have a JD 4310. From what you have learned, which model Optima battery would fit/work best in my 4310? Also, the yellow top Optima batteries are deep cycle batteries. Are these ok to use as starting batteries?

Appreciate any info back.

2flints

2flints,
If you can wait until next week, I should be able to answer you better. Your 4310 should be set up just like my 4400. I just ordered a 51R yellow top from Remy Battery. Said it would ship out tomorrow so should have it middle of next week. Although TheBigC indicated that the 51R was not correct for his 4100, I believe that it is the one we need for the 4300/4400 tractors. The only difference between the 51 & 51R is that the position of the battery terminals are reversed. For the 4300/4400 units, we need the positive post on the right side as we're standing in front of the tractor looking at the engine compartment. Size should not be a problem as the 51 & 51R only measure about 5" deep. You can use the yellow tops for a starting battery and Optima recommends them in machines that may set for long periods of time between use. Since I don't get to start up my tractor every day, sounded like the best bet for me. I believe the only difficult part will be a battery hold-down. Don't think the JD bottom clips will work on the Optimas and that means one over the top running the length of the battery. So far, I have not been able to find anyone who makes a battery hold-down to run the length of the battery so may end up having to fabricate something. I'll post back here as soon as I get it in the tractor.

Hoss

/ Help -- Optima battery in JD 4400 #6  
Hoss, if your 4400 is set up like my 4100, the terminals are towards the radiator. Originally, I tried the 51R because the terminals were oriented like my JD with the + on the right but the terminals were too far forward and hit my headlight housing. So I went with the 51, which in the Remy picture has the + on the left but when I turned it around, the terminals were oriented properly and towards the radiator, clear of the headlight housings on the grille. Like that old saying, measure twice and order once /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Donny

Donny,
Don't think that will be a problem on the 4300/4400 series tractors. The original StrongBox battery that was in there had the posts furthest away from the oil cooler, so these being to the front shouldn't cause any interference. The mid-size tractors are a fair bit larger than the 4100 and I'm betting I've got a little more room to work with than you did. Only time will tell.

Hoss

/ Help -- Optima battery in JD 4400 #8  
<font color="blue"> You can use the yellow tops for a starting battery and Optima recommends them in machines that may set for long periods of time between use. </font>

Anyone know how these batteries are in the cold? My new 990 is supposed to come in soon and I'm thinking about replacing the stock battery immediately. A pre-emptive strike against the leaking/corrosion problem. It can, however, get a bit chilly up here in Alberta. I mean, when I see mention of "cold" temperatures in the mid teens farenheight, I think "gee, that's still almost T-shirt weather?!" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Try -30 or -40 deg C for a while like this last winter. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Aside from occasional snow removal, my tractor won't get a lot of use during the winter, and will be sitting outside. If/when I do need to use it, however, I'd hate to find the battery unable to "put out".

Brad.

/ Help -- Optima battery in JD 4400 #9  
Hoss,
True, your 4400 is quite a bit larger than my 4100. My battery is a tight fit but when you remove the grille and hood latch rod it's no problem.

By the way, you've gotta love a battery that's shipped on it's side in the box /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif!! I have to believe my corrosion troubles are over. And it's JD yellow, too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

/ Help -- Optima battery in JD 4400 #10  
I think I can add some value here...I have a JD 4100 and the yellow Optima top fits perfectly in it..its a group 51 (R) the R dosent matter because its the only Optima yellow top battery in the Group 51 size....its the same size used in Honda Civics..
I have one in my civic as well

It bolts right in fine in the 4100 which replace the leaky JD 51R battery...it has 500cca reserve

Yellow Top Group 51

If it fits in a 4100 its got to fit in a larger machine - I would think

Duc