3-Point Hitch John Deere 3-point hitch 10 KW PTO Generator

/ John Deere 3-point hitch 10 KW PTO Generator #1  

PerryWhite

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4310 4WD turf tires
Does anyone out there own the John Deere 3-point hitch
10 KW PTO Generator? I am considering getting one and would like to know about your experiences. I would be using it on my 4310.

/ John Deere 3-point hitch 10 KW PTO Generator #2  
I have a 23 kw gena rac that I use to pull my chicken farm when the power is out. I can promise you when the chickens go this thing stays it is easy to use and would pull my whole house easily.

/ John Deere 3-point hitch 10 KW PTO Generator #3  
Perry,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does anyone out there own the John Deere 3-point hitch 10 KW PTO Generator? I am considering getting one and would like to know about your experiences. I would be using it on my 4310. )</font>

I have a 15kw PTO generator that I purchased from a local manufacturer, Martin Machinery in Ephrata, PA. I've had the unit about five years and have used it during eight or ten power outages, some of which lasted for several days. I have also used it for other tasks as a portable generator.

When I purchased it I owned a John Deere 4200, which I traded on a 4300 in 2000. Both tractors are hydrostatics

I mounted the generator on a three point carrier that I purchased at Central Tractor.

Conventional generator wisdom is that you want to buy a little bit more generator than tractor. If the load exceeds the available horsepower, the voltage will drop a bit and the tractor engine will labor but there is very little chance of damage to the generator. If, however, the load exceeds the generator capacity but not the available horsepower of the tractor, the generator will likely be damaged.

My recollection of the research that I did prior to purchase is that a pto generator requires about two horsepower per kw of output. You should probably verify that since I am relying on my memory of an event that occured in late 1998.

For that reason, you may want to consider a larger generator.

Hope this helps!

Jim Fisher

/ John Deere 3-point hitch 10 KW PTO Generator
Thanks tough451 and Jim,
What I neglected to say as that I was the April winner of
the $1000 parts giveway from John Deere and I am trying to
decide what to buy at my local JD dealer so that's why I am
considering the JD 10KW generator. Since I already have
the 430 loader, RB1072 rear blade, 59 inch front mount snow blower and a 413 rotary mower I am not sure what other
3 pt attachment I might need. I don't need a box blade
or landscape rake and I have two hydrostatic lawn tractors
On agco allis with 44 inch deck and one Simplicity with 50 inch deck and they enable me to get into the smaller places to mow that I just wouldn't be able to do with a 4310 with either a rear mount mower or mid mount mower. With the two orange lawn tractors, it takes my kid and I about 40 minutes to mow everything we have. I have been out of town for the memorial day weekend and when I got home late Monday night I had to leave again for a two day seminar.
When I got to the office on thursday... a lot of catch up so I
haven't been able to stop by the Deere Dealer.
Anyway, I am looking forward to my $1000 shopping spree
at the local dealer.

/ John Deere 3-point hitch 10 KW PTO Generator #5  
I've got a 3 point 25 KW generac on a 4700 HST. Some points to be aware of are: 1) 2 pto hp per KW, 2) match tractor pto rpm (750 rpm for john deeres or 1,000 rpm for others) to generator gearbox, 3) generators spin @ 1800 rpm with 4 poles (windings) or 3600 rpm with 2 poles (windings). The 4 pole machine weighs about double and costs about 50% more. 4) Be sure to have a good electrican help you verify the correct wiring of your coupling. My set was not wired like the manual says. Generac distributers are fairly widspread. Part supply from the factory has been very good. I had to replace some minor componets damaged in shipment.

/ John Deere 3-point hitch 10 KW PTO Generator #6  
oops - deere pto speed is 540 rpm

/ John Deere 3-point hitch 10 KW PTO Generator #7  
I'd love to have your "problem". /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif That pto generator would be at the house in double quick time.

Having just spent two days without power (big storm with 80 mph straight line winds) and running the heck out of my little 3600 watt gas generator, I was starting to look at a 10KW PTO generator for the Kubota B2400 (18 pto hp). I'll be very interested in any replies you get.

/ John Deere 3-point hitch 10 KW PTO Generator #8  
How much does a John Deere 10KW cost?

/ John Deere 3-point hitch 10 KW PTO Generator #9  
What are they quoting for the 10 KW Deere PTO Generator. I have been looking at the Northern Tool 7.2 kw and 13 kw. $829 & $1300 respectively.

Plus add cost of drive shaft assembly.

Don't plan on mounting it solid on a concrete foundation. Remember it needs to be movable.

SPENCE

/ John Deere 3-point hitch 10 KW PTO Generator #10  
This is a little off topic but my company has a generator on our building. Some people thought it would be a good idea to put one on when we built it. I was against adding it but was voted to put it on. It has never been used except for starting it every few months for maintenance. I has a big motor and last week I asked the maintenance guy how big and how much power. He looked it up. It is a 19L (1150 cu in) Cummins diesel with an estimated 475 hp to 650 hp depending on how it was set up. Has a 500 kilowatt generator. It is noisey. We send out notices to the surrounding neighbor hood when we are going to start it. Keeps down the complaints. Has a total of 70 hours in 10 years. Anyone want to buy it? You could still use your CUT for other jobs during power outages. The local electric company has offered to buy the electricity from us if we want to run it. I guess it helps with their peak demand issues.