Backhoe Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm

/ Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm
I'll take look at the Technical repair manual for possible specs on the pin. The Original owner would have had a good excuse for never greasing those pins... The zerks are ground to a nubbin'!

Osage orange cranium...?

Thanks, I'd be curious to see how far out of spec it is...yeah they really didn't grease a lot on this tractor, which is pretty disappointing. I'm going through the process of cleaning, re-greasing, and replacing zirc fittings throughout.

If the greaser was responsible, then would have replaced the zerks so they'd take grease, not use them being ground away as an excuse to skip.. ;)
just sayin....

Yeah, I'd like to have a little chat with the jerk PO!

Mine is also loose. They are not servicable, Yet.

I am making a new pin boss that will accept bushings.
I bought a new pin, $100.00.

Once machined i will replace the current one. Actually not a big job for me.

John Deere bushings are way too much money.
I meed to find someplace to buy reasonable bushings.

Please do post some photos when you do, I'm sure many have this same issue. Have you checked out Mcmaster Carr for replaceable bushings? They have a pretty huge inventory.

Does anyone know how much play is acceptable?

/ Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm #12  
According to the JD parts magician, thete is .010 play between pin and bushing to permit grease to flow. He also says seal should be installed. Both seal and bushing is very expensive, too expensive for me.
He looked in the parts and found another machine with the same size shaft. Then got the matching bushing size.
I might incoorperate an O Ring and flat washer as a kind of sesl.

This project wont start until "T" day time.

I have to finish my top and tilt first.

/ Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm #13  
According to the JD parts magician, thete is .010 play between pin and bushing to permit grease to flow. He also says seal should be installed. Both seal and bushing is very expensive, too expensive for me.
He looked in the parts and found another machine with the same size shaft. Then got the matching bushing size.

The tech manual doesn't specify the pin dimensions or clearance specifications, either. Just illustrates disassembly and the bushing, bearing, and seal driver set - DO1044AA.

Best reference would be JDParts.com and a "whiz-bang" parts guy @ your local dealer!

I'm pretty **** about maintaining equipment! Downtime sucks and the cost of repair and replacement parts from JD sucks even more!

I've got about 1,700hrs now on my 110 and probably 1/2 of those are hoe hours. There's some pin slop but not anything like most of the rental equipment I've used over the years.

I'd think that even if you find a an oversize replacement pin and machine it to fit, the dipper stick will still have to be line-bored. Interested to hear how everything works out. Best of luck.

Where would the seal be installed? Or are you talking about if you were to bore out the existing passage for a replaceable bushing? See if you can get the dimensions of that bushing? Then we can look around at non-JD sources which would likely be much cheaper.

I have some new pins, so I can measure the pin dimension if anyone needs it.

Now that the tractor is home with me, I've been thinking about this a little more. I can take the dipperstick off and line it up on my vertical mill...or I guess I could use my lathe, but I think the mill is more accurate and easier to control precise movements. They make cutting bits in just about any orientation/size that I might need.

New pins are 1.375" in diameter, and I have somewhere between 0.125-0.225" of slop in the bottom bore with no serviceable/replaceable bushing. If I could bore it out to about 1.625", a bushing similar to below might work. I could even put a grease groove and grease holes in very easily. It still boggles my mind that JD didn't put a replaceable bushing here and some other spots on the tractor...WTF.

Something similar to this below could potentially work. With the dipperstick off, it would be very easy to press into the bore.
bushing.gif

/ Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm #16  
A replaceable bushing would seem to be a "no brainer". Sometimes the engineers run head first into the "bean counters"... This could be an example of that at JD.

/ Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm #17  
I have had good luck using a shaft coupling (they are forged steel) the same size as the pin and welding a short piece of in a drilled out or O/A burned hole. An expandable reamer (like HF has) will ream out to the clearance for grease.

Ron

/ Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm #18  
I had the same problem on my 110. I simply made a bushing running the whole length of the dipper stick drilled a hole in for grease to pass through. Good as new.

No idea why JD did what they did there.

I had the same problem on my 110. I simply made a bushing running the whole length of the dipper stick drilled a hole in for grease to pass through. Good as new.

No idea why JD did what they did there.

What material did you make the bushing out of? Was it hardened?

How has it held up?

I'm also curious what tolerance you used between pin -> ID and OD -> bore.

/ Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm #20  
My holes were wore pretty good. Where yours just from looking at the pictures look to be in better shape. (need to put mics on it to see for sure).

My pin was also froze into the dipper stick and i had to make a new pin as the old one was destroyed trying to get it out.

The material was just a c1018 cold rolled steel. I did not harden it afterwards. The pin however was 4340 Q&T. I'd rather make bushings then a new pin!

I can not remember exact OD/ID as it has been awhile but i want to say less than 0.01

So far it is holding up well. At least i know grease is going where it should and not ruining my dipperstick.

Hope this helps