4210 Implement Pump Upgrades???

/ 4210 Implement Pump Upgrades??? #1  

weareweird69

Tractor
John Deere 4210
Hello, all. I dont post much, but I do a lot of reading here when I need some info.

Anyway, I have a 2004 4210 with the 420 FEL. I upgraded the tires/wheels to R4 from the junk turf tires, and added a ballast box with about 3-400lb in it. While It does ALMOST everything I need it to do, 5' brush hog, 62" MMM, leaf collection etc etc etc. However....

The FEL is lacking for me. I purchased a set of pallet forks and I made my own fork extensions since bought ones aren't long enough for me. I use the tractor to move my collection of truck parts around. I want to stack cabs and beds, but I can't seem to get them high enough off the ground to stack them. And sometimes they can just be a bear to move. I have no issues picking up a 500lb dana 80 rear axle with wheels and tires, even out farther from the pins, but I can't lift them very high.

The highest I can pick up a cab, mind you theres NOTHING inside the cab, no interior of any kind, so its a shell, with manual locks and windows, so nothing heavy... I know my fork extensions have some weight to them, but they aren't terrible, I can carry one at a time without issue.

Deere_Lifting_Cab_1.jpg

Ive been doing some reading and research and found that the 4210 and 4310/4410 share the same hydraulic system, including relief valves, minus the actual pump. Which is 11.9cc vs 14.6cc. They bolt on in the same manner, and they both can be found with the 420 FEL, except the 4410. While the 4310 usually got the 430 loader, it could be bought with the 420.

Buying a new/different tractor is not in the cards for me, so I was wondering if anyone had put the larger implement pump on their 4210. It would bump max height lifting capacity up 150-200 pounds depending on distance from pin with the same loader.

I can tilt the forks all the way back, but as soon as I lift up the cab/bed/whatever, thats got some weight to it, I can't roll back anymore, and the cylinders will start to bleed off. Granted I know that I should likely rebuild the cylinders on the 420. The tractor does have about 1500 hours on it, most of which the FEL has been on it.

So, If anyone has any input on the matter, Id appreciate the info!

Thanks!

/ 4210 Implement Pump Upgrades??? #2  
Bigger pump won't increase your lift capacity. It will lift faster then push more oil over the relief valve.

If you know anyone with a 430 loader give that a try. You can swap it onto your tractor in about 10 minutes. Higher capacity, lifts higher, etc.

/ 4210 Implement Pump Upgrades???
I don't know anyone that has a tractor around here. What stumped me was the 4310, and 4210 carry the same everything, minus the pump on the hydraulics. But the 4310 lifts more on the same 420 loader.

/ 4210 Implement Pump Upgrades??? #4  
I just looked in the service manual for my 4400. Working pressure 2500 psi for 4300 and 4400, but it says 2150 psi for 4200 as well as less flow. Pressure is where the different lifting capacity comes from, assuming Deere carried those numbers to the 10 series.

Not sure what it would take to adjust your relief valve. I wouldn't be too scared of doing it because like you say it's the same frame between 42/43/4410.

So, this brings up the next question. Where is this relief valve?

I couldn't find it.

EDIT:

My manual also states what you have for pressures.

/ 4210 Implement Pump Upgrades??? #6  
I think it's in the front of the loader valve. A 4300 pictured.
32f04d2bf1229da4168c871337a13acd.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 5.05.44 PM.png

Should be that correct? Any idea on how to adjust?

This is interesting. I am going to get my hands on a gauge and do some pressure testing. Thank you!

/ 4210 Implement Pump Upgrades??? #10  
This is interesting. I am going to get my hands on a gauge and do some pressure testing. Thank you!

Make sure you've got at least 1000 lbs weight box on the 3-point before enjoying your new capacity. tricycling isn't as much fun as it sounds especially down hill without front brakes.
Also, keep your eyes out for a 430 loader. It's superior in every way to the 420.