Mowing Sickle mower

/ Sickle mower #1  

danboy

I have a 4110. Does anyone know of any sicklebar mowers that would work on my tractor? Also, another question I have been wondering about that maybe someone can answer. When I drive the tractor out of the concrete floor garage, it feels like the tractor is wobbling side to side. This is very slight,but still I can feel it. I have watched it travel down the paved road from behind and the tires do wobble some. The lug bolts are extremely tight. Is this just the way it is made or is there a potential problem?

/ Sickle mower #2  
Can't answer about the wobble, but I purchased a Ford 501 Sickle bar mower at an auction last year and used it on my 4010 Cut. Had NO problem cutting 10 acres of grass hay last summer. If I was going to use it this year, I'd put a hydraulic cylinder on the cutting arm so I didn't have to get off the tractor to raise it.

I bought a 12' haybine this spring so I won't (hopefully) need the 501...but it is good to have for a backup unit.

Good luck.

/ Sickle mower
How long is the sicklebar?

/ Sickle mower #4  
Danboy,

Does your JD have R1 (bar tread) tires? I think those deep lugs might cause a slight wobble on hard surfaces. At one time in my working career I drove a forktruck that had deep lugged tires and on paved surfaces they created a motion as you describe.

/ Sickle mower
Yes, it does have industrials.

/ Sickle mower #6  
I THINK it is 6', but not sure...it might have been 7ft. I was in the local TSC this past winter and bought a new knife bar for it. I'll measure when I get home and post tomorrow, unless someone beats me to it.

/ Sickle mower #7  
A second on the wobble coming from the tires. My 955 does the same thing on hard surfaced roads with the industrial type tires, as does my 310D loader/backhoe. Kinda' like an amusement park ride, without having to deal with all the people /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The spacing of the tread lugs is such that one tire may be on "top" of the lug, while another is in the "valley" between them, so one side is a bit higher or lower than the other.

/ Sickle mower
That explanation makes sense about the tread. Still looking for an older sickle mower. Would an older New Holland hook up to my 4110.

/ Sickle mower #9  
Your bio isn't filled out and we have NO idea where you're located. The MS Market Bulletin has a IH sicklebar listed for $700. I placed a "wanted" ad in the LA Market Bulletin last month and had several calls. Bought a NH 451 Monday for $300 that was apparently a great price. Had two calls since then with a IH wobblebox type sicklebar for $300 and a JD. In this area the market bulletins are usually published by the state depts of agriculture to help the agricultural community. They are available on line free, but the on-line edition is usually a week or so later than the release of the hard copy. See if you can't find a publication similar to that in your area and post an ad asking for one... Good luck with it.

/ Sickle mower #10  
My Cub wobbles a little bit. I reversed the wheels and may have not put them back on exactly perpendicular. I only notice it in 9th gear on the highway, so I am not overly concerned. My Farmall has ag tires too, and holds the road like a vette...almost. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif