Mowing Can-O-Worms......

/ Can-O-Worms...... #1  

ModMech

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2410
My question to the list is pretty simple.

What tractors have a suspended mid-mount mower deck and/or does that depend on the deck?

Reason: We currently own a Kubota B2410 HST with an RCK-54 floating deck (rides on wheels) and I HATE the way it cuts and eats wheels. We are purchasing a replacement JD tractor (previously owned) and the current models in contention are:

770 MFWD
4100 MFWD
2520 MFWD

What I cannot find ANY information on, is how to locate a tractor/deck combination that does NOT have ground-contact deck wheels.

<edit>

I should add that gear or HST is meaningless, but whatever model we get there are some basic REQUIREMENTS:
1) JD
2) MFWD
3) Outside sway control
4) Loader
5) Ground clearance is needed w/deck raised

TIA!

/ Can-O-Worms...... #2  

What tractors have a suspended mid-mount mower deck and/or does that depend on the deck?

Reason: We currently own a Kubota B2410 HST with an RCK-54 floating deck (rides on wheels) and I HATE the way it cuts and eats wheels. We are purchasing a replacement JD tractor (previously owned) and the current models in contention are:

770 MFWD
4100 MFWD
2520 MFWD

What I cannot find ANY information on, is how to locate a tractor/deck combination that does NOT have ground-contact deck wheels.

I should add that gear or HST is meaningless, but whatever model we get there are some basic REQUIREMENTS:
1) JD
2) MFWD
3) Outside sway control
4) Loader

TIA!

If you HATE the MM mowers wheel issues, why not a rear mount finish mower, then? Or, along those lines, a newer generation of MM's with drive-over capabilities (7 Iron) and hydraulic lift?

I'd have to believe the newer generation of MM's would have superior suspensions that would help minimize the problem of wheel drag.

You won't find a 7-Iron for either a 770 or a 4100 model but, you could find one for a 2520 tractor.

/ Can-O-Worms......
I use a grass catcher, so a finish mower is not an option.

Are the 7-irons too new for the 770 and 4100, or are they incompatible?

/ Can-O-Worms...... #4  
I use a grass catcher, so a finish mower is not an option.

Are the 7-irons too new for the 770 and 4100, or are they incompatible?

Most likely too new and not designed to mount to the older machines. My son has a 4100 with the MM pto and if nothing else, the smaller tire size wouldn't get the deck off the ground!

/ Can-O-Worms...... #5  
Set the stop so the mower wheels are 1/4-1/2" off the ground on flat ground. The wheels are just meant to ride the deck over a high spot, not run in constant contact with the ground.

/ Can-O-Worms...... #6  

770 MFWD
4100 MFWD
2520 MFWD

<edit>

1) JD
2) MFWD
3) Outside sway control
4) Loader

TIA!

I think the RCK deck mounted on a B2410 HST is a "Ground Contact" mower not a "Float Mower". If memory serves the mower deck has two wheels on the front of the deck and anti scalp rollers on each corner on the rear of the deck. The wheels on the front have grease fittings. Not sure about the rollers on the rear. Some of the larger decks had grease fitting in the anti scalp rollers. The anti scalp rollers were not designed to be in constant contact with the ground and usually the wear items on the deck if the deck is set where they are in constant ground contact like the front wheels.

/ Can-O-Worms......
I think the RCK deck mounted on a B2410 HST is a "Ground Contact" mower not a "Float Mower". If memory serves the mower deck has two wheels on the front of the deck and anti scalp rollers on each corner on the rear of the deck. The wheels on the front have grease fittings. Not sure about the rollers on the rear. Some of the larger decks had grease fitting in the anti scalp rollers. The anti scalp rollers were not designed to be in constant contact with the ground and usually the wear items on the deck if the deck is set where they are in constant ground contact like the front wheels.

Roger that. There are two large caster wheels on the front outer corners and one central pair at the rear, combined they provide cutting height adjustment. Additionally, there are two outboard rear anti-scalp wheels. Overall, a poorly designed system to have that many wheels in the dirt and it does not do a good job of cutting :(

I noticed many ZTRs have suspended decks with only 4 smaller anti-scalp rollers or wheels, this would help prevent digging up the yard when changing directions or making sharp turns. Who knows, maybe the Deere decks are just better generally and would not be such a maintenance headache to begin with.

/ Can-O-Worms...... #8  
I have a 4110 with a suspended deck; cut is much more uniform across the 54in swath than my X500. I seem to recall the later 4100s using a similar mower setup. Mowing grass with the tractor isn't the most fun. Have to contend with the added length, ROPS height and tree branches, tires marking the lawn in tight turns (additional weight of the tractor), etc. Does cut well, however.

Consider how you intend to use the tractor. Hard to go off road (stumps, logs rocks, swails/mounds) with the deck in place and installing/removing the deck and the arms that suspend it takes time; deck isn't exactly light either. Also limits 3 point usage as the deck position is set using that control.

But if itç—´ going to be a dedicated mower used in a place without a lot of trees and tight corners not a bad option.

/ Can-O-Worms......
I've already got a tractor with MMM and having 6 tools to do 6 jobs does not interest me in the least.... That's why I want a tractor with MMM.

With the Kubota, deck removal is HORRIBLE, their procedure seems simple enough, but actually doing so is anything but. Any tractor with a loader would make this easier and whatever I get will have one. Tractor weight vs a "mower" (Garden tractor, ZTR, etc) is nothing to even consider as the ground pressure is determined by the air pressure in the tires, not the weight of the machine they carry.

The replacement will need to perform the following:
-Yard Mowing
-Tilling
-Rough cut mowing (shredder)
-Leaf/grass catching
-Digging/leveling/moving objects (rocks, gravel etc)
-Snow removal

Only a CUT with a MMM and Loader will fit those requirements. I just need the right machine to be able to get a GOOD (suspended) MMM.

/ Can-O-Worms...... #10  
I can only speak to the 2520 Compact MFWD. The 62D deck is quite powerful and does a good job mowing. Installation and removal is easy - it is a drive over deck, which leaves you with a couple of simple mechanical connections to make, plus hooking up the driveshaft. Two swivel casters on the front and two non swivel on the rear. The casters are intended to be anti scalp and are adjusted to clear the ground (suspended deck). The earlier wheels were a square section (mine) which was changed to a round section at some point. The square section wheels combined with the swivel action allows the wheels to turn sideways on sidehill cutting which, at times, causes them to "dig" in if on rough ground or cutting next to fences with heavy growth. Side hill cutting, you will get a bit of sag on the downhill side of the mower.

Ground clearance with the deck raised not very much. Never measured, but probably 7 or so inches.

Plenty of power for a 60" Woods Brush Bull shredder.

Not aware of collection system for it.

For snow you have the choice of front or rear blade, 54" snowblower, and when all else fails the loader. At the time I bought mine Deere only offered a 47" snowblower which does not cover the rear tire tracks. I made wings for mine to fix this problem. I am in a windy spot so no normal snow - it can be deep and wind packed. Blower handles it well. For 8 or nine years, no problem. Last spring a bearing went out on the blower and had to work with the loader, slower, but always works.

Newer models more user friendly but more $.

Good luck in your search.

Steve