JD 4210 Rear Axle Seal Replacement - Differential Lock Seal

/ JD 4210 Rear Axle Seal Replacement - Differential Lock Seal #1  

mike48130

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4410, 4210 Ford 1700, 550, Bobcat 843
I am replacing the rear axle seals on a 4210 HST. It looks like there are 2 types of seals. One recesses and one just on the shaft. I do not have any recess for the sel. The parts diagram shows the seal looking like it goes on the outside of the housing. When I took off the housing, the seal was on the shaft on the inside of the housing (still on the shaft after I removed the housings). I think the part number is YZ80992 seal and not the F65021 seal.

Anyone who did a an axle seal recall where it goes? It seems to make more sense on the outside.

The service manual I have show only the recessed seal on the outside.

Both side were the same. It doesn't look like it has been taken apart, but never know.

From the parts catalog:
F65021 Seal 2 (COUNTER-BORED HOLE)
YZ80992 Seal 2 (NON COUNTER-BORED HOLE)

Thanks for any help.

/ JD 4210 Rear Axle Seal Replacement - Differential Lock Seal
Well, I just relooked at it. I guess the hole in the housing is the same size as the OD of the seal and it goes all the way in. Nothing to keep the seal from getting pushed all the way in like mine was. Odd design.

/ JD 4210 Rear Axle Seal Replacement - Differential Lock Seal
I ended up buying a seal from a local bearing dealer. It had a steel case instead of the rubber so I used some of the Loctite 515 on it and pressed it in. Since I still had the old seals, I put those in on the outside as well. So double seal I guess.