JD870 Starter Issue

/ JD870 Starter Issue #1  

DGreenf

Tractor
JD870
I have experienced a starter issue that happens intermittently. At times, the starter just does not turn over or attempt to turnover. I just received some better information on troubleshooting on this site, which I have applied, but now it is acting fine. Before, when it would not start, any time I disconnected the battery, I found it would start a few times after that - like removing power was possibly resetting something. From this site, I have learned where the Neutral Start Relay is and the time delay module (TDCM). Since I am not currently experiencing this intermittent problem, I am unsure what might be causing it. How is the TDCM wired in? Would disconnecting the battery possibly be resetting this module? It doesn't make sense to me that it would reset the Neutral Start Relay, because this relay only gets power when it is triggered to start. Very interested to hear some experienced input.

/ JD870 Starter Issue #2  
Have you cleaned and tightened the negative battery cable at the chassis end?

/ JD870 Starter Issue #3  
:welcome: to TBN
When was last time battery was new? If more than 5 years, might need to be upgraded. If less than 5 years, suggest getting it load tested.

/ JD870 Starter Issue
I will check this again, but I don't think this is a issue. Since I started having the problem a year ago, I also had the battery out at one time. Do not recall any corrosion or problems tightening.

/ JD870 Starter Issue
The battery does not seem to struggle at all when the problem is not there, and it is not even attempting to start when the problem is there. Does not seem to be a typical battery problem.

/ JD870 Starter Issue #6  
I will check this again, but I don't think this is a issue. Since I started having the problem a year ago, I also had the battery out at one time. Do not recall any corrosion or problems tightening.
Cleaning battery terminals is common when replacing the battery but cleaning the chassis end is often overlooked can lead to strange behavior like you are describing. That was my reason for asking.

/ JD870 Starter Issue #7  
I had a 770 and had a problem with the safety starting module. I wonder if a fuse holder is corroded, or a connector? A wiring diagram would be most helpful.

I have such issues on my CUSHMAN mower. I never did find the problem and the best I can do is carry a cheater cable and switch, that I can plug in to the starter solenoid and an alligator clip to the positive battery post so I am not stranded.

Last edited:
   / JD870 Starter Issue #8  
The TDCM has no power when the key is turned off, therefore disconnecting the battery should have no effect on "resetting". I also suspect there is a bad battery cable or connection since removing and installing battery cables helps. A battery cable can look perfectly ok and still cause problems. The crimps on each end of the cables can get corrosion between the wire and the battery terminals and also on the eyelet end where they attach to starter and frame ground. The next time it fails to start, connect a positive voltmeter lead to battery cable connection at starter and negative voltmeter lead to a clean ground near the starter. Should read approx. 12.6 volts for fully charged battery. Then try to crank the engine while watching the volt meter. If voltage drops to near zero, you have a bad connection somewhere in battery cables. If it stays at 12.6 or near that, then most likely problem is in the neutral start circuit somewhere... Transmission neutral, pto neutral switches, TDCM, neutral relay, wiring, etc...

/ JD870 Starter Issue #9  
I've had this problem twice with my 970. The negative cable on mine is bolted to the bottom side of the frame just behind the front right wheel. Remove the cable from the frame, clean the cable end well and the frame where the cable bolts to. I use spray can of the battery terminal coating in-between the cable terminal and the frame for a good contact and re-attach the cable. Spray the bolted terminal with the same coating well, and you should be good to go. I think in my case, snow plowing and getting this terminal wet is causing the problem, but the last fix has lasted for 3 years now. If after cleaning all of the battery terminals and checking the cables still doesn't do it, then, and only then, I'd start looking for something else. JD110 has some great thoughts on this and after you are sure that the cables and connections are good, I'd break out the volt meter and start looking.
Chris

/ JD870 Starter Issue
I appreciate the input. I will look further into those things and see if I can find anything or if the problem goes away after some good cleaning. Thanks very much!!