How much smoke?

/ How much smoke? #1  

mtncur

Tractor
John Deere 5083e, Kubota L3240
I have a 2011 5083e with 750 hours. This evening I was late getting home from work and had to set out hay after dark. With the front work lights shinning through the exhaust it seemed like a lot of smoke. I've never noticed this before. Is some visible smoke normal for this year model? Maybe I'm accustomed to zero smoke now from all the tier 4s? What are your thoughts?

/ How much smoke? #2  
All my diesel vehicles (trucks included) have had more visible smoke at different temps, dew points, lighting conditions/ headlights or lights from other vehicles. I think sometimes it’s just more noticeable, none have given me issues over the years. I’m thinking normal.

/ How much smoke?
Thanks for the response. Sometimes I tend to overthink things and "normal" opinions are good for perspective!

Ps, I see you are a Marine, thank you for your service. My son is currently serving in the USMC.

/ How much smoke? #4  
I'm also thinking it's normal also think about this it could be the way the lights from the tractor shining thru it because during the day you don't really see the smoke because of its light outside.

/ How much smoke? #5  
mtncur
You don't give your location in your bio, so we have no idea what temps are in general for your 'smoke' question. Help us out a bit pls.

Click on your forum name and you can add that to your profile.

/ How much smoke?
mtncur
You don't give your location in your bio, so we have no idea what temps are in general for your 'smoke' question. Help us out a bit pls.

Click on your forum name and you can add that to your profile.

Done.

/ How much smoke? #7  
What? A Deere smoking?

Just messing with you mtncur. Nothing will get your heart going like unexpected smoke.
If you had just got home and got rolling before warming up completely I’d think it was likely running a tad rich. Probably just some unburned hydrocarbons floating up in front of you

/ How much smoke? #8  
A dirty air filter can make it smoke bit I would say it’s normal but more noticeable with the lights .

/ How much smoke? #9  
I wouldn't worry. An engine that appears clean burning in daylight will show an amazing amount of smoke at night with lights behind the exhaust.

/ How much smoke? #10  
I have a 2011 5083e with 750 hours. This evening I was late getting home from work and had to set out hay after dark. With the front work lights shinning through the exhaust it seemed like a lot of smoke. I've never noticed this before. Is some visible smoke normal for this year model? Maybe I'm accustomed to zero smoke now from all the tier 4s? What are your thoughts?

100% normal that is just a diesel. The light allowed you to see it.