No power to JD 4200

/ No power to JD 4200 #11  
+1 for what Mike suggested, especially the battery ground cable where it attaches to the frame. Often overlooked, and isn't obvious because usually everything works until the starter tries to engage which makes it look like a switch or solenoid problem. Sounds like new terminals are in order as well. Good luck!

/ No power to JD 4200
Thanks everyone. I cleaned the terminal and connections. As I went to tighten the clamp on the terminal the bolt snapped off in the head. After a couple of broken drill bits I was able to drill out the broken bolt and found a replacement in the shop. With the connectors cleaned I hooked everything up and the tractor fired right up.

After letting it run for a few minutes I shut it off and hooked it up to a trickle charger. Hopefully it fires up later when I need to blow some snow.

Thanks for all of the advice, I can't believe I overlooked something so simple!

/ No power to JD 4200 #13  
It sounds like a connection issue. You probably have a bad connection on your battery ground cable or the positive to the starter terminal. It is a good enough connection to power the lights, but under a heavy load like the starter solenoid, you loos the connection. It could be corrosion, a bad cable, or a loose terminal. Did you loosen the ground cable on the frame to tie in the lights, or is it directly to the battery post? I would start with the ground screw to the frame, then the starter terminal to the battery. What you describe is typical of a bad connection.

I assume the battery connections are good since you put in a new battery, but could be checked as well. Did you clean the battery posts/cables with a wire brush battery cleaner before installing? Probably need to do on a tractor of that age.
This is my diagnosis or starting point. A loose ground, bad connection at the starter and so on and so forth. Connections get loose and/or corroded by themselves and "presto" you got a problem.

/ No power to JD 4200 #14  
Ps. Didn't finish reading every thing. Glad you got it going.