Loader Over-lifting with Pallet Forks

/ Over-lifting with Pallet Forks #1  

KennK

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
I have a John Deere 3320 with a 300CX front end loader and Titan 42" pallet forks. What will happen to the tractor if I try to lift too much weight using the pallet forks?

Is there a safety bypass in the hydraulics? Or could something get damaged?

I'm not talking about torquing the forks - like trying to dig with them. I'm thinking of trying to lift an object under the forks straight upward. Assume the front wheels are fully and properly inflated and I am using adequate rear ballast.

Thanks for you insight!!

/ Over-lifting with Pallet Forks #2  
There is a relief valve in the rock shaft cylinder head. I ASSUME it is for the entire hydraulic system, but might be for just the rock shaft?

/ Over-lifting with Pallet Forks #3  
I've got the same rig and have lifted to capacity numerous times with pallet forks QA (Rankin). It's no different than an overloaded bucket - if the LoadMatch is on, the machine essentially goes into relief mode. If it's not, it stalls.

One purpose of the LoadMatch is to avoid over pressure damage, according to the Deere tech here, so I'd say that the answer for you is that the fail-safe design, if it's working properly, prevents overload damage.

I worry more about stress fractures when I'm overdoing it with the 300CX than the hydraulics, but I feel like I run out of hydraulic capacity and HP before I'd get to that kind of mechanical failure.

/ Over-lifting with Pallet Forks #4  
I'm not talking about torquing the forks - like trying to dig with them. I'm thinking of trying to lift an object under the forks straight upward. Assume the front wheels are fully and properly inflated and I am using adequate rear ballast.

As others have commented, the hydraulics will trigger the relief valve and the loader/forks will just sit there accompanied by the engine bogging down slightly and you may hear a groaning sound from the hydraulic pump laboring.

/ Over-lifting with Pallet Forks
Thanks so very much for your information. I feel so much better.

I've been kind of hard on my tractor, having once accidentally filled it with gasoline (I thought I was using a diesel pump at the gas station - two new fuel injectors!), and once accidentally and briefly over revving it while pulling a storage building on skids while it was in high gear (sigh) and breaking the tachometer (dashboard replaced - they told me I could just live without a tachometer ... not). I really didn't want to damage something else using the pallet forks.

/ Over-lifting with Pallet Forks #6  
That's the beauty of hydraulics, the pressure relief valve simply goes into bypass at the determined setting and nothing breaks. (OK, a hose might burst but then if it does it was due to be replaced anyway) Lots of safety factors built in there.