Front axle leaking oil 5410 mfwd

/ Front axle leaking oil 5410 mfwd #1  

LondonDave

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5410 MFWD, Case IH 5230 MFWD
I drained and refilled the front axle on my 5410 last night. It was way down on oil and now I know why. This morning when I went out to the shop I had a big puddle of gear oil on the floor. It's leaking right at the cover where the driveshaft goes into the housing. When I look at parts diagrams it looks like there is a seal (#7 on the first diagram) that I would suspect is the culprit. To get at the seal it looks like I have to remove the housing (#1 on the second diagram). What I'm not sure about is what all comes off when I drop this housing? Does it come off as a unit or in pieces? I've got decent mechanical skills but don't want to get in over my head with something that comes apart that I can't get back together again.

Any help with how things come apart and go back together and if the seal (#7) is what is likely causing the leak.

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• Diff gears.gif
    Diff gears.gif
    79.6 KB · Views: 268
  • Diff housing.gif
    Diff housing.gif
    75.9 KB · Views: 360
   / Front axle leaking oil 5410 mfwd #2  
No need to drop housing.
Remove drive shaft.
Use a puller to remove key 8 cover
Replace seal Key 7, grease inner lips of the seal
Seal installs in cover key 8
Use retaining compound on OD of cover 8 and install

/ Front axle leaking oil 5410 mfwd
No need to drop housing.
Remove drive shaft.
Use a puller to remove key 8 cover
Replace seal Key 7, grease inner lips of the seal
Seal installs in cover key 8
Use retaining compound on OD of cover 8 and install

Haha...Looks like I got you on this forum too. :) If I wanted to drop the housing to make it easier to remove the oil pan what would be involved in that? My oil pan is leaking and I thought it would be a good time to drop it and re-seal it. Unless it's not necessary to remove that housing to get the oil pan out. It just looks like it would be a whole lot easier to get the pan out without that housing there unless it would be more work to drop the housing.

Thanks

Dave

/ Front axle leaking oil 5410 mfwd #4  
I've not pulled one of these oil pans. You might be able to tell if it will come off easy once the front drive shaft is removed.

I've not pulled one of these oil pans. You might be able to tell if it will come off easy once the front drive shaft is removed.

Okay thanks. Do you know what's involved in removing the housing?

/ Front axle leaking oil 5410 mfwd #6  
If you mean the support, key 1, second drawing, you have to remove the front drive shaft. Then the bolts, key 26. You might have to remove all four (front and rear support) and lower the front axle until the supports clear the bushings, key 18. Then support will slide off. Plan on replacing O-ring key 4

It might be just as easy to rear move the complete front axle. Two hoses to power steering to disconnect. If you go that route, get caps and plugs for the hydraulic lines and cylinder fittings.

If you mean the support, key 1, second drawing, you have to remove the front drive shaft. Then the bolts, key 26. You might have to remove all four (front and rear support) and lower the front axle until the supports clear the bushings, key 18. Then support will slide off. Plan on replacing O-ring key 4

It might be just as easy to rear move the complete front axle. Two hoses to power steering to disconnect. If you go that route, get caps and plugs for the hydraulic lines and cylinder fittings.

Yikes...Okay so a lot involved in that. If I can get the oil pan out without having to remove that support is sounds like it's going to be a much easier job.

Thanks