PTO lever won't budge

/ PTO lever won't budge #1  

Cliff_Johns

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4110
PTO lever won\'t budge

I finally took my back hoe off and wanted to test my PTOs to make sure they work correctly. I tested the rear one, which turned -- that's about the extent of my test. Then I went to shift the lever to try both PTOs or just the front one, and it will not budge. Can anyone sugest what I should look at for this problem? I can't find any sugestions in the manual. The PTO button was off when I was trying to shift the lever, and the engine was running. I tried to move it after the engine was shut off too, but to no avail. I hauled on it pretty hard, but I didn't want to break something. I could try harder, but I'm thinking it should shift pretty easily.

Cliff

/ PTO lever won't budge #2  
Re: PTO lever won\'t budge

The PTO selector lever on my 4100 used to freeze up occasionally when it was new. Either in the front or rear position, but never in the middle or front/rear position. It seemed to be an internal problem as none of the linkage was binding. I seem to remember engaging and disengaging the PTO a few times and tapping on the handle with a rubber mallet and it would free itself. It hasn't done this to me in a few years so maybe it gets sticky due to lack of use??

Donny

/ PTO lever won't budge #3  

the lever could be just froze up from not using it. look and see where the lever rotates inside bushings, and maybe try some spray lube at those points. once you get it freed up, try to move it every month or so so it isn't sitting in one position for an extended period.

/ PTO lever won't budge

I called the dealer and they said not to pull too hard on the PTO lever. It just shouldn't be that hard to move. They would rather send someone out to take a look. I figure if someone's going to break it, I'd rather it was them.

The service guy agreed that maybe it had been sitting too long and locked up, but there may be something more wrong. We'll see.

Cliff

/ PTO lever won't budge #5  

Cliff,
I had a similar problem with my 4100. In my case, the PTO was engaged when the lever jammed. Because of the PTO lockout device, I couldn't get the tractor to re-start. I had it hauled to the dealer who found that two of the collars in the transmission where the PTO engages were jammed. They tapped it, and they freed up. Hope your problem isn't the same one.

John

/ PTO lever won't budge

The mechanic came out and and fixed the PTO lever. He had to remove some parts, used emery cloth to clean them, then put never sieze on to keep it from happening again. It turned out not to be the PTO part, but rather just the pivot pin the lever turned on. Easy fix.

While he was at my house I asked him a bunch of questions and he was most helpful. I asked him how to get the FEL into float because I wasn't able to. He played with that a bit and added some lubrication, but the fact was, I was being too dainty and not giving it the shove it needed. Works very nicely and smoothly now that it's been put in and out of float a few times.

When I called the dealer, I said there was no hurry because I didn't even have any PTO equipment at the moment, and that they could wait until they had someone comming to my area anyway. They called Monday and said the ticket was too old and they would come over even though they didn't have any calls in the area.

Very good warenty experience.

Cliff

/ PTO lever won't budge #7  

Probably just newness/lack of use. My 4100 used to do the same thing and come to think of it, I had it over a year before I acquired some PTO driven implements(MMM,SB). Since I've used the selector regularly, it hasn't frozen up at all. If you don't plan on purchasing any PTO implements for a while, I suggest cycling that lever occasionally to help prevent any future freeze-ups.

Donny

/ PTO lever won't budge

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you don't plan on purchasing any PTO implements for a while, I suggest cycling that lever occasionally to help prevent any future freeze-ups.
Donny )</font>

That's my plan. I'm thinking I may say "voom, voom" while I'm moving the lever back and forth just to make it feel like I'm doing something useful.

Cliff