Backhoe 510 D won't move

/ 510 D won't move #1  

farmalls

Tractor
JD 50-20s, Farmall A & Bs , 510D backhoe
Hi all I like this site . Probably like most here I finally signed up because I have problems.

My backhoe has always had good power and strong hydraulics with no noticeable lag in shifting. I got out to hook up a chain and got back in and
it wouldn't move but wheels were free. (Park brake had quit working early this winter and I had to put a bigger fuse in or it blows fuse ) I might have 2 problems . Long story short with all tires in the air they will turn in reverse ever so slow in 1st and 2nd gear no matter what position FNR lever is in. On the ground driveshaft will spin in reverse if I give it some throttle then stalls out and spins the other direction and stops. (Like it is relieving a slight pressure that has built up ). But no pull down on the engine whatsoever. Thanks in advance for any ideas where I should start .

/ 510 D won't move #2  
Is the reverser working? Clutch disconnect on the loader lever stuck? Ring gear rivets had been known to fail back in the day. But most were fixed under warranty or a PIP

/ 510 D won't move #3  
And putting a bigger fuse in any circuit is not good practice. The park brake is hydraulic released. I.E. uses a solenoid. The solenoid for the PB is probably having high resistance causing your fuse to pop. I'd take it off and check the resistance value of the coil.

How much does the drive shaft move when to tires are on the ground?

/ 510 D won't move
with tires on the ground the drive shaft will make just a couple of rotations before it stops.

Correction : driveshaft won't turn with tires on the ground and transmission in gear. With transmission in Neutral drive shaft will spin in reverse direction, When I slightly increase RPMs driveshaft stalls out and wants to turn the other direction, When I lower RPMs it again turns in reverse direction. like fluid trying to flowing to both sides at once under very little pressure a there is no pull down on engine whatsoever.

Last edited:
   / 510 D won't move
Thanks for the replies chevy, I suspect it might be reverser or electrical components that control reverser since I only get reverse rotation of tires when it's up off the ground . Since the tractor was so strong and seemingly healthy otherwise and the fact that I got out to hook up a chain on flat ground and got back in and had issues makes me think it's something simple .

/ 510 D won't move
No not at all .

/ 510 D won't move #9  
Next thing I'd check was does the fluid level change running compared to not running?

If so I'd be checking charge pressure And convertor in and outlet pressure.

Are you 100% sure the clutch disconnect is not on?

/ 510 D won't move
No I'm not , They seem to click jus fine but that doesn't mean anything , I found where I can order a shop manual for it so I can trace the wires down .