Deere 4400 hst

/ Deere 4400 hst #1  

therebarely

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 990, Massey 471, Deere 4400
I hope I can find some help. I purchased this tractor last week and have everything working except the drive system. The only way the tractor will move is in 4 wheel drive with just the front tires pulling. Any suggestions what to look for?

/ Deere 4400 hst #2  
I hope I can find some help. I purchased this tractor last week and have everything working except the drive system. The only way the tractor will move is in 4 wheel drive with just the front tires pulling. Any suggestions what to look for?

What’s the hours?

/ Deere 4400 hst #4  
You said it’s hydrostat? Pull the hydraulic oil filter and cut it open look for metal. All internal stuff on hydrostat

/ Deere 4400 hst
You said it’s hydrostat? Pull the hydraulic oil filter and cut it open look for metal. All internal stuff on hydrostat
I put all new filters in it and cleaned the sump filter. There were a few very small metallic particles in the sump filter but nothing excessive. I thought that it was linkage stuck or not working correctly but I can't find anything.

/ Deere 4400 hst #6  

Does the tractors front axle that is working pull with authority? If the Hydrostat drive is (OK) then it seems likely that something has failed in the rear axle
it may be a broken spider gear /3rd member cross shaft or other failure in the rear differential
Seem to remember a thread sometime back with similar symptoms with a 4--- Deere compact that did have a rear axle failure
I believe member dfkrug has a lot of experience with the 4200-4400 Deeres may be able to help with some troubleshooting advice.

Here is hoping it is something simple

/ Deere 4400 hst
Does the tractors front axle that is working pull with authority? If the Hydrostat drive is (OK) then it seems likely that something has failed in the rear axle
it may be a broken spider gear /3rd member cross shaft or other failure in the rear differential
Seem to remember a thread sometime back with similar symptoms with a 4--- Deere compact that did have a rear axle failure
I think member dfkrug may be able to help with some troubleshooting advice.
Thank you for the responses. The front does move the tractor well, but with the weight of the backhoe on the back it lacks traction.

/ Deere 4400 hst #8  
Lift up the back wheels and see if one is a little loose. Might also check out the rear drive with the tractor in two wheel drive.

/ Deere 4400 hst
Lift up the back wheels and see if one is a little loose. Might also check out the rear drive with the tractor in two wheel drive.
Lifted the back end up yesterday with the backhoe and the rear tires did not turn when activating the hydro pedal in either direction. They did turn freely when the engine was shut down.

/ Deere 4400 hst #10  
Like someone said it’s probably in the rear. I would check the rear diff and final drives. You will have to tear it down to be sure