2240 Hydraulics Questions

/ 2240 Hydraulics Questions #1  

THEPARTYHOUND

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2240 MFWA (SOLD); Kioti RX7320
I really hate asking dumb questions, but i have a feeling that I'm about to. I recently bought a JD2240. Ive been using this tractor for a couple months now for odd jobs around the property, but have yet to really use the remote hydraulics in the rear. Im looking at a post pounder to use on the 3 point hitch. I have learned that the post pounder requires a larger diameter hose for the return line. Where do i plumb this hose into on the tractor?

20180418_192706.jpg

I think i need to unscrew the plug that a 3/8 ratchet fits into and screw a hose fitting into the hole to attach the return line from the pounder. Next question, does it matter which quick connect port in the picture i attach the high pressure line from the pounder to? Either one will provide high pressure to the pounder, right?

Last question. I know that my tractor uses a closed center hydraulic system. The pounder has its own hydraulic control levers on it. Do those hydraulic controls on the pounder have to be specific to closed center hydraulic systems? Or does it make no difference at all and the pounder could be used on either an open system or a closed system?

/ 2240 Hydraulics Questions #2  
Return oil from pounder should be routed to a ported hyd filter housing(L55982) not just returning oil to sump. Returning hyd oil to sump could cause frt hyd pump to run out of oil while operating pounder. Which breakaway coupler you attach pounder supply hose will be determined by which direction you move SCV control lever but IIRC when plugging in RH outlet one moves control lever rearward. If a closed center plug is available for pounder control valve I will advise to install it for smoother pounder operation. L55982 Cover ADD 70.36 USD

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    10.6 KB · Views: 163
   / 2240 Hydraulics Questions #3  
Return oil from pounder should be routed to a ported hyd filter housing(L55982) not just returning oil to sump. Returning hyd oil to sump could cause frt hyd pump to run out of oil while operating pounder. Which breakaway coupler you attach pounder supply hose will be determined by which direction you move SCV control lever but IIRC when plugging in RH outlet one moves control lever rearward. If a closed center plug is available for pounder control valve I will advise to install it for smoother pounder operation. L55982 Cover ADD 70.36 USD

Most of these tractors have this plug on filter cover already for your return . There is a line that runs above the dip stick on the foot board that you can tap into and put a quick connect on for pounder.

/ 2240 Hydraulics Questions #4  
. There is a line that runs above the dip stick on the foot board that you can tap into and put a quick connect on for pounder.

IIRC 2240 didn't come from factory with ported filter cover as standard equipment when I sold them when they were new. There is a fitting(key 4) to get pressure behind pressure control valve below but not above the foot board.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    35.4 KB · Views: 579
   / 2240 Hydraulics Questions #5  
The post driver I saw had a big return hose (3/4"?) with a pipe clamped into it that had a 90, then another pipe. You were supposed to put this into the trans fill opening.

My 2030 has a return hose from the SCVs to the ported filter cover. Maybe this is the line M5farms means?

/ 2240 Hydraulics Questions #6  
I can't find the illustration at the moment . The pressure line I'm Talking about comes up by the tranny and rock shaft and goes into the remote control block . I have installed a T in this line on a 2040 and a 2630 to run a FEL on these tractors. The first one I saw done this way back in the nineties had a drilled tapped nipple in the filter housing. This was performed by the dealer. Right or wrong it worked . All i have now is the 2630 and can snap a pic tonight of the plumbing .

/ 2240 Hydraulics Questions #7  
here is a pic of the line i am talking about. I mispoke on the dipstick , mine has the dipstick located where i described.

line.png

/ 2240 Hydraulics Questions #8  
Here's a parts photo of the line you're referring to. We are referring to basically same hyd source just opposite ends of the line. 2nd photo shows how JD engineers thought an added hyd valve should be attached to a JD utility 20-55 series tractor. Hose(key 22 2nd pic) is hose you're referring to in your last photo. IMHO it's easier to install a tee in the lower section of the line than the upper section especially if fender is mounted close to scv. I either installed or supervised installing many frt end loaders while employed for 21 yrs at a JD dealership.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    19.5 KB · Views: 208
  • WP1062_________UN01JAN94.gif
    WP1062_________UN01JAN94.gif
    20.3 KB · Views: 2,845
   / 2240 Hydraulics Questions
M5farms, i think this is the port you are talking about.
20180419_132733.jpg

/ 2240 Hydraulics Questions #10  
IMG_20180419_183225478.jpg
This is how mine is plumbed.
IMG_20180419_183225478.jpg
Return line