Moved 12 ton of gravel today

/ Moved 12 ton of gravel today #1  

JDdude

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere
I must say this 2210 just keeps impressing me. I took about 10 minutes today and removed the mower deck and installed the loader. (Greg just dumped the gravel at the end of the drive). Then I started moving the gravle from the pile out to the driveway. After I had it spread it around I took another 10 minutes or less, removed the loader and put on the front blade..This was the ticket for smoothing the drive out..Works awsome..Took me about an hour to do everything, including remove mower deck install loader and then install the front blade..

I have about 10 more tons to spread out at the house..

Tractor worked flawless and I never needed 4 wheel drive..

I am at 15 hrs on the clock now.

Ease of operation is such a asset.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Moved 12 ton of gravel today #2  
Cool...! sounds like you had some fun.

Say, is 10 ton one big dump truck full of crushed rock?

just wondering.

thanks, dwight

/ Moved 12 ton of gravel today
I got 22 tons in a semi dump trailer..We did over half at the shop and the rest at my house..I think 10 tons is what you get in a tandem, but I aint sure..

/ Moved 12 ton of gravel today #4  
Tandems usually hold 10 to 12 yards of material. A yard of gravel is around 3500 pounds plus or minus a good bit depending on type of material and moisture content.

Egon

/ Moved 12 ton of gravel today #5  
This must be agree with Egon week /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.A couple of buddies of mine haul for the local gravel yards.They will haul around 21 ton full load with sideboards.But when you get past 16 ton you are getting overloaded with "most" tandems,don't let DOT catch you.I have been known to have 4 ton on my one ton,that's about 17,500 /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.The moisture content of gravel can make a difference of hundreds of pounds per ton as Egon said.So if buying by the ton don't order when it is raining or has just stopped.Sunny warm weather could mean free gravel /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Moved 12 ton of gravel today #6  
I had two loads delivered a couple of weeks ago on a six axle dump truck.
They had 26 tons on each load... It sure doesn't look like 52 tons when it's sitting in the piles in the driveway! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

After it was all spread, it still didn't look like 52 tons! Where did it all go? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Moved 12 ton of gravel today #7  
There are obviously lots of different dump truck capacities.
My local white rock for my driveway supplier delivers 16 ton per load. Besides... his dump trucks have cat engines in them. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Moved 12 ton of gravel today #8  
At my niece's home building project, we've moved, so far, about 400 tons of gravel/rock/shale. A lot of it was with my 955, although the 310D loader/hoe did a bunch of the work, too. Now that the house is finally here, the 955 is great for getting right up close to it for the final landscaping (anyone got a few thousand yards of good topsoil they need to get rid of? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Man, what conveniences these machines are!! I think back to my youth, and my Dad moving stuff with a wheelbarrow and shovel. Phew!!

/ Moved 12 ton of gravel today #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( After it was all spread, it still didn't look like 52 tons! Where did it all go? )</font>

Bet it looks like 52 tons when you get the bill! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Moved 12 ton of gravel today #10  
<font color="blue"> It sure doesn't look like 52 tons when it's sitting in the piles in the driveway </font>

Here's a trick. To make that 52 ton seem more like 100 ton, just use a shovel and wheel barrow to move it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif