Can I use regular Prestone in my JD 4100 CUT

/ Can I use regular Prestone in my JD 4100 CUT #1  

coloradotrout

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST CUT w/Yanmar 3TNE74 | JD 300 Lawn
The book says
The following John Deere coolants are preferred:
キ COOL-GARDョ PRE-DILUTED SUMMER COOLANT (TY16036).
キ COOL-GARDョ CONCENTRATED SUMMER COOLANT (TY16034).
If neither of the recommended coolants is available, use a
glycol base coolant that meets the following specification:
キ ASTM D4985 (JDM H24A2).

Can I use the regular Prestone concentrate mixed 50/50 or should I go to Deere and get theirs?

/ Can I use regular Prestone in my JD 4100 CUT #2  
If the Prestone meets the spec, go for it..

/ Can I use regular Prestone in my JD 4100 CUT
I would not use the common Prestone antifreeze products as they only satisfy ASTM 3306 and ASTM 4985.

ASTM D3306 - Specification for Glycol Base Engine Coolant for Automobile and Light-Duty Service.

ASTM D4985 - (2015), Standard Specification for Low Silicate Ethylene Glycol Base Engine Coolant for
Heavy Duty Engines Requiring a Pre-Charge of Supplemental Coolant Additive (SCA).

ASTM D6210 - Specification for Fully-Formulated Glycol Base Engine Coolant for Heavy-Duty Engines.

There are enough other products that satisfy the better ASTM 6210 standard and the Deere H24.
Zerex G-05 is a commonly available product that fits the bill.
Be sure to thoroughly flush your system when you change brands.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...83350-antifreeze-post4831945.html#post4831945

I got some Zerex G-05, but the manual does say ASTM4985 and glycol based. Zerex is not I believe. It's hybrid organic acid technology. Regular Prestone is glycol and ASTM4985. Which should I go with?

/ Can I use regular Prestone in my JD 4100 CUT #4  
You want Rotella anti freeze from TSC,,,

/ Can I use regular Prestone in my JD 4100 CUT
I got some Zerex G-05, but the manual does say ASTM4985 and glycol based. Zerex is not I believe. It's hybrid organic acid technology. Regular Prestone is glycol and ASTM4985. Which should I go with?

I guess Zerex is glycol based, US_VAL_ZXG5_AFC_HD_EN.docx - SpringCM and it meets JDM H24. I guess I'm ok. The TSC Rotella is probably fine as well.

/ Can I use regular Prestone in my JD 4100 CUT #6  
I buy FleetCharge by the case, and use it in all my diesel engines. Diesels need coolant with SCA's. (Supplemental Coolant Additives) What you buy at the box stores will not have SCA's.
I get mine at the local fuel distributor. It's also available at most NAPA stores, but costs more.

/ Can I use regular Prestone in my JD 4100 CUT #7  
my 1999 & 2000 JD 4400 & 4600 call for ASTM D3306 (JD H24C1). "Prestone GM" coolant says it meets the specs for D3306 & D4985. No more than 50/50 , no other additives, and add Distilled or deionized water.

/ Can I use regular Prestone in my JD 4100 CUT #8  
I buy FleetCharge by the case, and use it in all my diesel engines. Diesels need coolant with SCA's. (Supplemental Coolant Additives) What you buy at the box stores will not have SCA's.
I get mine at the local fuel distributor. It's also available at most NAPA stores, but costs more.
Easy matter to buy any coolant from anywhere and add a bottle of DCA 4 to it. Stuff is about 3 bucks a bottle and is 100% compatible with any green Glycol coolant. Buy the cheap stuff and just add a bottle.

/ Can I use regular Prestone in my JD 4100 CUT #9  
My owners manual says "don't add any additives". An earlier poster said that his required D4985 and mine only required D3306 listed as corrosion additives. It's pretty clear that the specs have changed over the 23 years. Someone said that his recommended 60% coolant. Mine says "no more than 50%. I think that I'm safe with Prestone DexCool for GM. I know that you shouldn't mix DexCool with regular Prestone.

/ Can I use regular Prestone in my JD 4100 CUT #10  
First thing I do with any GM vehicle is drain the Dex Cool, flush the system and install a real antifreeze coolant and I'd never use the junk in any tractor. Dex Cool crap caused my wife's 32 valve Northstar to develop a pin hole leak that required a rebuilt engine.

Ike I stated earlier, I use generic green glycol coolant and add a bottle of DCA4 which contains corrosion additives.... and I change my coolant every 2 years.

Finally, only a 50-50 mix and no more because the higher the concentration of glycol, the less heat transfer takes place. Actually, the best coolant is plain distilled water (best thermal transfer) which you can do if it never drops below freezing where you are at. Straight distilled water and a bottle of DCA4 is teats.