economy PTO

/ economy PTO #1  

Notforhire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L47TLB
I'm being very optimistic here, but I wondering if an economy PTO option could be added to My 2011 5055e?

What I'm looking to accomplish , is to run a PTO generator at lower engine speed.
A 10KW generator doesn't require 48 HP from the PTO to run it.

The other option would be gearing up the input shaft of the generator.

Bill

/ economy PTO #2  
Google "Tractor PTO step up RPM" and you will get numerous hits for items to read, some which are on TBN.
No idea how to interpret what you mean by "economy". :D

/ economy PTO #3  
I don't see why not but at this point I'm thinking an external gear box is going to be cheaper. Never priced one though!

/ economy PTO
No idea how to interpret what you mean by "economy". :D

On some of the newer tractors they have an "economy" gearing that puts out 540 rpm at a lower engine rpm, as well as the traditional 540 pro running at higher engine speed. If max pto HP isn't needed you have the option of using "economy".

Understanding economy PTO

/ economy PTO #5  
I'm being very optimistic here, but I wondering if an economy PTO option could be added to My 2011 5055e?

What I'm looking to accomplish , is to run a PTO generator at lower engine speed.
A 10KW generator doesn't require 48 HP from the PTO to run it.

The other option would be gearing up the input shaft of the generator.

Bill

I do not think it was offered from the factory so not possible.

5X10, 5X20, and 5X25 series had as an option. there are other models too.

/ economy PTO
As suggested I did a search and found an old thread very similar to mine. A member suggested looking into Drummond generators (Canada). They are supposed to require only 400 rpm, which would reduce engine RPM. (I haven't done the math yet.)
I also discovered that Winco makes a 15 KW that runs at 515 rpm. These look to be a cheaper alternative to an additional gear set.

/ economy PTO #7  
E-PTO option normally comes with Power Reverser Trans only

/ economy PTO #9  
IN E-PTO (540E some calls it) you get 540rpm out back at 1650 engine rpm.

IN Normal mode you get 540 at 2550 engine rpm.
Both of these RPM's are noted on the Tach Gauge in dash.

No sense in running your engine at Wide Open Throttle wasting fuel running implements.
It Really helps keep air filter cleaner too in really dusty conditions because engine isn't sucking in near as much air.

When your running an implement that requires a Lot of HP like a Batwing Cutter : smaller HP tractors won't have enough power to run it in E-PTO.

I LOVE ME SOME E-PTO Option as my profile pic depicts lol

Last edited:
   / economy PTO #10  
E-PTO option normally comes with Power Reverser Trans only

That was for model year 2014 and newer. OP has a 2011, not sure what trans he has.

I take it that your tractor is so equipped.
Could you tell me the engine rpm in the normal mode and the rpm in economy mode?

Normal PTO is 2400 rpm. e-PTO is 1700 rpm