2555 JD jumping out of 4&8 gear

/ 2555 JD jumping out of 4&8 gear #1  

glsweet

Tractor
JD 2555w/FEL, Kioti 1914 FEL,393 MF CHA
I have a 1987 JD 2555 with the collar shift transmission.
Left gear shift-I,II & R------Right gear shift 1,2,3,4. It is non syncronized The other day while bush hogging in I-4 going up a steep hill, the thing jumped out of gear and started making a grinding noise. I stopped and clutched it and put it back in gear and let out on the clutch and it popped out again. It will also do it in reverse too. If I am real careful, I can place the
gear shift in the position real easy and make sure it is in the detent good and if works fine. My conclusion: Lost a ball or something broke off concerning the detent which holds it in gear. Any thoughts or comments on how to fix?

/ 2555 JD jumping out of 4&8 gear #2  
Time to get in there and look around for what is wrong. Possibly a worn gear too. Maybe a tooth on a gear broke off, which can happen. Drain the tranny and look for metal parts.

Get some tech manuals for your tractor and see what might be involved to split the tractor and tear it down enough to find the problem. Might just be a 'cover' on the tranny that you can remove to inspect.

/ 2555 JD jumping out of 4&8 gear
Hey, I will try taking the cover off and looking inside. If has to be broke into, that's over my head. I will have to take it to a mechanic.