Mowing JD 318 mower

/ JD 318 mower #1  

Anonymous Poster

Tire pressures even, gauge wheels set 1/8" off the ground at full down position, deck leveled left to right. front of blade 1/8"
lower than back of blade 1/4" with bagger or turbo, deck set up according to decal on deck/owners manual, mowing dry grass-afternoon after dew burn-off, mowing speed, mowing at full throttle????????????????

/ JD 318 mower #2  
[{(mowing dry grass-afternoon after dew burn-off)}]

I would never get my lawn mowed!

Seriously, I have fooled with the adjustments, set tire pressures, leveled deck, mowing at full throttle with a slow pace on the ground speed. What my main problem (I think) is two things 1) not enough blade tip speed. 2)deck design.

1)I thought about changing the pulley on top of the deck where the drive belt mounts. Once you change the pulley size you need to change belts size. But the JD drive belt is the only belt that lasts, gates belts don't last but a few mows. It is hard to to find the right JD belt with the different pulley.

2)There are two strips of slightly higher cut grass. The basically line up with the width of the front wheels. I had originally thought that the strips were caused by the front wheels packing it down. This really isn't the case. On the underside of the deck are gussets. They are located on the bottom (closest to the ground) of the front side of the shell (hope you got that). I thought about removing them but they ad strength but more importantly help keeping the blades from scalping. Also these gussets are in line with the front wheels and where the blades over lap.

It is a 50" deck.

I have been told by a few dealer that this complant is common but is part of a bad deck design.

Your help is greatly appreciated. But don't break you back try to "fix" the problem. Been living with it for quite a few years now.

Thanks

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif

/ JD 318 mower #3  
I had a 318 and if I rember right it had a 46" deck. If you can find a 46" deck for it your problems will be over. One extreme to the other.

/ JD 318 mower #4  
I have a 316 with the 50" mower deck. Full throttle, mowing dry grass, almost an acre an hour. The trick with these JD mower decks is to keep the blades REALLY, let me emphasize REALLY, sharp. I don't use my all that much anymore since I got the Kubota, but when the JD was the main mowing machine I had to get new blades every Spring and sharpen every 3-4 weeks. If I let the blades get very dull, bad cut with ridges.

Bob Pence
18-33782-bobsig.gif

/ JD 318 mower
It's been a few years, but I have had alot of 318's on my bench and do'nt recall anything about "bad deck design".
Granted the 50" deck is'nt the most common (in my experience) But I really do'nt think it's blade tip speed, I'm a little suprised you did'nt see any improvement with the high lift blades. The gussets you mentioned are a bit of a memory test, Are they on the outside of the deck reinforcing the front wear bar? or are you refering to the skids (maybee).
How do the baffles under the deck look, should be one continuous one in the rear shaped a little like a "W" and one in the front forming somewhat of a circle around each blade contributing to the suction of the blades. are they in good shape? Is there any large amount of grass build up, which is common if your cutting damp grass (which according to your comments is the case) If you coud get/or look at a parts breakdown for your deck you could see if all your baffles are there. A missing or damaged baffle from the "get go" may have been the problem all along.......Check the "wings" on your blades if they're worn you will lose lift. But sounds like you've been there done that with the blades. Don't forget about the the obvious stuff like belt tension, PTO as well as mower drive, PTO clutch air gap (although after this amount of time if the clutch gap was off you would have certainly burned it up) Engine power, both cylinders firing (left bank as warm as the right bank) OK that's enough of that, Yes, Gates belts work good for your car but not so good on your mower (seen enough of that) Anyway, no back brakin' here, just a few thoughts.

/ JD 318 mower #6  
Wow! A welth of information.

The high lift blades did help some but didn't fix the problem. The gussets are a little hard to expalin where they are. I'll try to take a few pictures of the underside of the deck. The tractor will be taken out of winter storage hopefully this week. There is only one baffle underneath the deck from day one. That is the rear baffle which forms a "w" in front of the the rear middle roller. The front baffles that you talk about are not on my deck. As you mentioned this may be the problem due to lack of suction (my thinking of blade tip speed). The blade wings are good, I try not to hit rocks or dirt, pretty picky about that. We did have a problem with the PTO not shutting off after etended use but adjusting the air gap fixed that. The engine is strong (875hrs). Belt tensionis adjusted according to the diagram on the multi-drive unit in front between the front hydraulic ports.

Thanks Kubmech. I will try to get a picture of the under side of the deck to show you the gussets I'm takling about and to see about the front baffles.

Enjoy the weekend. They are calling for 70 to 75 degrees here in northern VT Sunday and Monday!

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Rowski on 04/21/01 06:02 AM (server time).</FONT></P>