4310 Cruise control

/ 4310 Cruise control #1  

BenderKC

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4310 MFWD HST
I am still struggling with my cruise control. What is the best way to stop the cruise control without having the tractor come to an abrupt halt. Usually I am using the cruise at moderate speeds while mowing and come upon an obstacle requiring me to take full control of the speed/direction. Tapping the slower button does not always serve the purpose. I do like the resume feature. Thanks in advance.

/ 4310 Cruise control #2  
My 4210 has the standard cruise control with no resume feature, I have difficulty judging how much forward pedal to apply when turning off the CC so my tractor does not jerk to a half. Makes me wish JD had engineered a "coast" function into the cruise control like my old Ford pickup has. I'm interested in knowing what other owners have to say and their solutions, if any.

/ 4310 Cruise control #3  
No problem with it, as long as I have my foot on the 'forward' pedal when I switch it off. The foot keeps the pedal from returning to stop until you let back on it.

On the e-hydro's, seems there is a control to affect the response time.

/ 4310 Cruise control #4  
Best way is to put your foot on the hydro pedal and push it to where you thought you had it when you engaged the cruise. Then shut the cruise off, and let up. Usually you can get close to where you had it, and wont end up jerking the tractor etc.

/ 4310 Cruise control
Ideally you could put it in pause while you assume control for management of the obstacle and then resume at your previous speed. This would work better for me than turning it off, back on and then finding the right speed.

/ 4310 Cruise control #6  
I agree with Beenthere and Green 4710. When I am ready to go off of Cruise I place my foot on the forward pedal and just hold it in position. Then I press the Cruise button and when the green light goes off I slowly lift my foot to slow or stop the tractor. I have a 4300 and I love it.

/ 4310 Cruise control #7  
yEAH, i NOTICED WHEN i KICKED CRUISE OFF IT NEARLY TRHEW MY BROTHER IN LAW OFF THE 3 POINT ARMS. i GUESS HE SHOULD RIDE ON THE FRONT BUCKET...

/ 4310 Cruise control #8  
My method developed from mowing many acres: I press the forward hydro pedal down about where I think it matches my speed then I tap the brake pedal to disable the cruise control. Most of the time, I'm pretty close. Just takes lots of practice. (Did alot of jerky stops in developing this technique) Doing it this way, I can just hit Resume again when I make my turn and I'm ready to cruise. Hopefully I'm not contributing to premature brake wear. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 4310 Cruise control #9  
LOL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Riding in the bucket should be OK... just watch yourself getting on and off if you have a toothbar on there...ouch! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ 4310 Cruise control
Thanks for the advice, I will work on the technique.