Backhoe JD 47 Backhoe questions

/ JD 47 Backhoe questions #1  

flatheadlake

Tractor
JD 4310
Is the 47 bh a sub-frame mount? Does it matter? Is there any reason to upgrade to a 48 bh for an extra $1,000? Thanks for the help. What a great site.

/ JD 47 Backhoe questions #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is the 47 bh a sub-frame mount? Does it matter? Is there any reason to upgrade to a 48 bh for an extra $1,000? Thanks for the help. What a great site. )</font>

The 47 is NOT a subframe mount. It isn't a 3 point mount, either. Yes it does matter. A subframe can lower ground clearance and interfere with a mid mount mower. A 3 point mount can put too much stress on the tractor. Deere uses RockShaftAssist mounting to attach the 47 (also the 48, 448 and 49 hoes) The tractors were designed for this setup and don't require additional frame components and are rock solid. They go on or off in a jiffy and work wonderfully in place.

the 48 is a bit deeper digger, it also has more reach which can mean less moving the tractor or unload into a higher bed and it can fit the large chassis CUTs. (As far as I can tell the 47 is limited to the mid chassis.) The 48 is being replaced with the 448 which does not list the mid chassis as compatible. I guess there will be a 447 too.

Actually TBN is the GREATEST site!! Glad you found it!

/ JD 47 Backhoe questions #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The 48 is being replaced with the 448 which does not list the mid chassis as compatible. I guess there will be a 447 too. )</font>

Actually, if Deere comes out with the rumored 3000 Twenty series to replace the mid-size 4000 Tens, wouldn't it be best if Deere renamed the hoe like 338 or 337? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ JD 47 Backhoe questions #4  
Hey, I can goof up once and a while can't I?!!

Good call!

/ JD 47 Backhoe questions #5  
RockyRigde says it all... both are great BH's and worth the extra bucks over Brand X especially nice is the super strong, simple and easy to work mounting system. The extra reach was important to me (move the tractor less) so I went for the 48.
I see your from Montana... my son lives in Whitefish!

/ JD 47 Backhoe questions #6  
My lines and foundations only have to be 2 feet deep. If I lived farther north, I would have got the 48. Now I would be looking at the 448. .

To cut down on time moving when trenching, we keep an operator on the tractor. But we have no shortage of willing operators!!!!!

/ JD 47 Backhoe questions
Should a guy wait for the new 447 (or whatever it will be called)? JC4HD what's your son do in Whitefish, Polson is about 60 miles south.

/ JD 47 Backhoe questions #8  
<font color="green"> Should a guy wait for the new 447 (or whatever it will be called)? </font>

Well, it is only a guess that there WILL be a new hoe. But the current ones are GREAT. If you are leaning towards the 48, be sure and check out the 448. If a dealer has a 48 in stock, it might be a great buy...

What tractor do you have in mind for this?

/ JD 47 Backhoe questions
A bran' spankin' New JD 4310 that I am about to order

/ JD 47 Backhoe questions #10  
Your options include the 47 and 48 (the 448 shows NOT to work with the Mids...) If you can swing it, get the 48, you will be probably digging deeper than I do...

Congrats on the 4310!!!!