2210 battery hold-down clamp is destructing

/ 2210 battery hold-down clamp is destructing #1  

mhalla

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2210
<font color="green"> Any other 2210 owners having a problem with their tractor's battery hold-down clamp destructing?

After noticing some corrosion around the positive electrical clamp, I removed the battery from my 2210 to deal with the corrosion.

That's when I discovered the battery hold-down clamp is destructing. Part of it looks a lot like a burnt piece of wood, all fissured and checked.

It won't be an expensive part to replace at $2.53 but it seems to me that it should have lasted longer than the 19 months I have owned the tractor since I bought it new.

Wish there was an Optima battery that worked in my tractor. Already loosing some paint on the tractor frame beneath and around the batttery due to minor acid spillage from the current battery. If only John Deere had included a tray under the battery to direct any minor spillage away from the body and frame. Come to think of it my old Sears lawn and garden tractor's battery sat in a plastic tray and had a vinyl drain tube to keep battery acid from attacking the tractor's metal frame.

Maybe I just need to check out the latest lawn and garden tractors at Sears, see if one has a battery tray that would it in my 2210, order the corresponding tray from Sears, and install the tray in my tractor.

I have seen some acid neutralizing mats for under a battery that I might have to try as well.

I understand that batteries by their nature are corrosive but there are ways and means of reducing their corrosive impact, few of which seem to have been employed by John Deere in designing this tractor.

The way the hold-down is corroding is really a surprise. If manufacturers can make a plastic case for a battery that is not affected by the acid you would think someone could make a plastic hold-down clamp that would not be affected by the acid.

Mike
</font>

/ 2210 battery hold-down clamp is destructing #2  
I have been led to believe that the corrosion is due to the acid vapors that are created when loading the battery. It's the reason, I am told, that the single battery cover with the tube at one end is used to vent these fumes down below the battery area.

Many years ago, when lead batteries were more prevalent, I would keep the corrosion down by pressing a copper penny on edge into the soft top of the battery. Worked as the penny was eaten away but it kept the corrosion in check. I have tied a copper penny to the top of my Deere 4300 battery, and it seems to be working the same way. Sacrifices the penny but cuts back the corrosion. Maybe copper tubing would do the same, or a copper sheet under the battery. I don't know for sure. Baking soda sprinkled on the top will neutralize the acid too.

/ 2210 battery hold-down clamp is destructing #3  
Mike,

Are you sure you cannot use the Optima 51 yellow top? That's what I have dropped into my 4110--Perfect fit and specs. Here's a link to a dimensional spec:

Optima 51 Yellow Top Schema

Spec Charts

This is where I bought mine: Best Price at Remy Battery

The 51R simply has the posts reversed. Even though they classify this battery as a deep cycle, it's also an excellent starting battery. All you need to do is make sure you have the cold cranking amp rating you need on the yellow top, make sure it fits the compartment, and you are in business.

/ 2210 battery hold-down clamp is destructing
<font color="green">Thanks Pete,

I see where the Optima 51 is new. It is unfortunate the Optima web site does not provide more application information for consumers.

Thanks for the third party Optima web site link and tip on lowest price. I was at that same site earlier today and missed seeing the size I needed until you pointed it out. Looks like the Optima provides a little more in the way of cold cranking amps then the John Deere Strongbox battery in my tractor.

I wire brushed the rusted areas under the battery and treated them with rust reformer this afternoon in preparation for painting with rustoleum gloss black later this week.

I still can't believe that the plastic battery hold-down clamp used on my 2210 was not acid resistant. I am seriously thinking of putting it in an envelope and sending it to John Deere if I can figure where or who to send it to. Not to complain, just to let someone know they might have a problem with the part.

Mike </font>

/ 2210 battery hold-down clamp is destructing #5  
I snapped the plastic hold down bar by over torquing the nuts when I replaced my battery. A good sized chunk flew past my ear. I replace it with a quickly fabricated powder coated steel strap with a high-density rubber bumper between the metal and the battery. Still looks solid. I didn't think I was cranking very hard on the nuts during reinstall, but I guess I was /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ 2210 battery hold-down clamp is destructing #6  
On the Optima battery. I was at Sams Club a week or so ago and saw some optima style batteries that were all black and had another brand name on them. Can't remember the brand name, but quite a bit cheaper than brand name Optima batteries.

Does anyone know anything on these "looks like an Optima Batteries" ?

/ 2210 battery hold-down clamp is destructing #7  
An achilles heal thing with Toyotas is corrosion on battery cables and metal attachments. I stopped it on my Tacoma with those felt washers. Put them onto the battery posts beneath where the cables attach. The battery on my Gravely came with these felat washers already on the posts.

Ralph